AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4K members online now
4K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Need to rebuild campaigns? Redesigning a site and losing .aspx suffix

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am redesigning my site from a older CMS over to Wordpress, and I am planning on keeping my exact same site structure. The only difference is that the original site's URLs all end with .aspx - whereas the new URLs will not have this extension. The old URLs will all redirect to the new. Does anyone know if I will need to rebuild my adwords campaigns/edit the destination pages, or does Google ignore the .aspx suffix?

Thank you!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Olga Z
January

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

AdWords destination must be the final URL after all redirects.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Olga Z
January

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

AdWords destination must be the final URL after all redirects.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Use AdWords Editor and update your ad URLs in bulk, with search and replace.

Make sure to add any conversion tracking to the new site.

Highlighted

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

It would still work, but you're likely to break the tracking as a result of the redirect. 

You can run a find and replace within AdWords itself, there's no need to use the editor. Create duplicates to avoid losing ad data.