AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

More view-through than actual conversions

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

How could it possibly be that I have 17 view through conversions but only 4 "real" (1-per-click) conversions in a 30 days period?

Is this a bug?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David_Precisera
September 2015

Re: More view-through than actual conversions

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
It does not say anything about the source / medium they came to your site.

It does not matter how they come to your website when they convert. (via click on AD in the search results, link on the organic results, direct, mail link etc. etc.) Only it has to be within time set for view true conversions, witch standard is 30 days

It only says that they did visit one or more times website in the display network, where your ad was shown.

This is at least how I understand it, reading the adwords help text information. They write :
View through conversions are tracked by the AdSense cookie on the content network. Meaning if your ad shows up on the content network, AdSense will track that users cookie, if that user did not click on that display ad, but came back to the website in some other fashion, then that one conversion will be counted as a view through conversion.

I guess they put a counter in the cookie, just like the session counter in the Analytics cookie.
** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello David Precisera

View through conversions measures times a user viewed, but did not click on one of your display ads via the content network.

So I think branding is working, people are going back to the website after several times saw the ad, and then are converting.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Elja,
you mean they came through another source / medium, such as organic search, an never clicked an ad at all?
Could be, although it doesn´t seem so plausible.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

If you do not have conversions defined in analytics and imported in adwords in order to track organic conversions too, it is precisely what is happening.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David_Precisera
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
It does not say anything about the source / medium they came to your site.

It does not matter how they come to your website when they convert. (via click on AD in the search results, link on the organic results, direct, mail link etc. etc.) Only it has to be within time set for view true conversions, witch standard is 30 days

It only says that they did visit one or more times website in the display network, where your ad was shown.

This is at least how I understand it, reading the adwords help text information. They write :
View through conversions are tracked by the AdSense cookie on the content network. Meaning if your ad shows up on the content network, AdSense will track that users cookie, if that user did not click on that display ad, but came back to the website in some other fashion, then that one conversion will be counted as a view through conversion.

I guess they put a counter in the cookie, just like the session counter in the Analytics cookie.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

In the same manner, if you activate the adwords tag or the analytics code for remarketing even if you do not pay for ads for a month, the audience will be there with all your organic visitors who allow the cookies to be set in their browsers, and you will be able to remarket them later when you have a budget for adwords.

It is a reason why I implemented the remarketing code in all the websites where I have admin rights, just in case I need the audiences later.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Petebardo confirms here that the view-through numbers get incremented even for organic conversions

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/View-through-conversions/m-p/205008/highlight/tru...