AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Measuring Results of Engagement Ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've created a small Engagement Ad campaign (to try this new ad type), which plays a lightbox video and has a call-to-action to send visitors to a registration form on my website. I'm having difficulting translating the metrics for these campaigns. I started the campaign last night, and so far it says I've had 10 clicks.

• Are these clicks actually people who hovered over my ad to watch the ligtbox video? I looked in GA and haven't found these visits to my website, so that is my assumption.
  • If theses clicks are people watching the lightbox video, do Engagement Ads track how many clicked over to my website? If so where is that data?
  • Is there a way to find out how long a visitor watched my video?

I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Measuring Results of Engagement Ads

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your posting. To answer your first question, Google Engage Ads "are tuned to user engagement, not clicks, and are available on a cost-per-engagement (CPE) basis. This allows advertisers to bid and pay only for user engagement, bringing accountability and efficiency to a scalable display campaign." In short, the clicks you referenced are the actual engagement when the customer views your ad (This would explain why the are not showing up in your Google Analytics data).

Here's the actual metrics for checking your Engagement Ads campaign which can be found on the  Adwords Help section here.

• How to measure campaign results: After you follow the instructions on how to set your campaign and it starts running, you can check how many people engaged with your ads by looking at the "Clicks" column. The engagement rate is reported in the "CTR" column, and the average cost-per-engagement, in the the "Avg. CPC" column
  • How to access additional reports: The actual clickthroughs to the landing page are reported in the "Free clicks" report. From this report, you can also get counts of people who watched a certain percentage of your videos.
  • Keep in mind when using engagement ads: They run only on Display Network websites that are enabled to show these ads, and are targeted to people with high-speed internet connection.
  • How to target your ads: While engagement ads work in combination with all Display Network targeting methods, you might want to choose affinity categories that are aligned with your campaign goals.
  • About ad reviews: Before your ads starts showing to customers, we review their content and formatting to make sure they meet our advertising policies.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rich S
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks John, you've answered all my questions perfectly. I was not aware of the "Free clicks" report, it has all the information I was looking for

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your posting. To answer your first question, Google Engage Ads "are tuned to user engagement, not clicks, and are available on a cost-per-engagement (CPE) basis. This allows advertisers to bid and pay only for user engagement, bringing accountability and efficiency to a scalable display campaign." In short, the clicks you referenced are the actual engagement when the customer views your ad (This would explain why the are not showing up in your Google Analytics data).

Here's the actual metrics for checking your Engagement Ads campaign which can be found on the  Adwords Help section here.

• How to measure campaign results: After you follow the instructions on how to set your campaign and it starts running, you can check how many people engaged with your ads by looking at the "Clicks" column. The engagement rate is reported in the "CTR" column, and the average cost-per-engagement, in the the "Avg. CPC" column
  • How to access additional reports: The actual clickthroughs to the landing page are reported in the "Free clicks" report. From this report, you can also get counts of people who watched a certain percentage of your videos.
  • Keep in mind when using engagement ads: They run only on Display Network websites that are enabled to show these ads, and are targeted to people with high-speed internet connection.
  • How to target your ads: While engagement ads work in combination with all Display Network targeting methods, you might want to choose affinity categories that are aligned with your campaign goals.
  • About ad reviews: Before your ads starts showing to customers, we review their content and formatting to make sure they meet our advertising policies.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rich S
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks John, you've answered all my questions perfectly. I was not aware of the "Free clicks" report, it has all the information I was looking for

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Rich,

Your welcome. I'm glad I was able to answer all your questions. Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hey guys, runnig these ads for few days. still don's see any data in GA. I understand different metrics are shown in AW for these type of ads, but how come that GA doesn't report anything (not even the real clicks to my site)?

thanks!

Sq
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Sq
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

Myself and the agency I work with tracked the analytics stats - they show as googleleads.g.doubleclick.net

Acquisition > All Referrals and search for googleleads