AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4K members online now
4K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Last-click Attribution Modelling for AdWords Conversions

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi there -

I'm trying to process this a little better. Currently I've set up my conversion goals in AdWords by connecting Analytics/AdWords and routing the conversion goals into AdWords through GA.

In AdWords I've set up the conversion goals under the "last-click" attribution model with a 90 day conversion window.

My question is, under a "last-click" attribution model would the conversion only tick off if the visitor converts directly from the AdWords click? If that's the case then conversion window doesn't really matter under this model, does it? Am I missing something?

Say for example: someone clicks my adwords ad > goes to website, browses around, leaves > comes back directly by typing in URL and makes purchase. 

Does an AdWords conversion tick off in this case under a "last-click" model?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mack A
December

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Yes. In AdWords, the conversion is attributed by default to the last click.

In Analytics, the default is the last non-direct click. so in your example, because the conversion took place after coming back to the site directly in both Analytics and AdWords it is attributed to AdWords.

But if in Analytics the user converted after a follow-up email, then the conversion in Analytics would be attributed to the email link while in AdWords to the click on the ad.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mack A
December

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Yes. In AdWords, the conversion is attributed by default to the last click.

In Analytics, the default is the last non-direct click. so in your example, because the conversion took place after coming back to the site directly in both Analytics and AdWords it is attributed to AdWords.

But if in Analytics the user converted after a follow-up email, then the conversion in Analytics would be attributed to the email link while in AdWords to the click on the ad.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey @MosheTLV -

OK, how does something like the time decay model work in adwords, does it attribute the conversions to all the keywords leading up to the conversion action with the most recent taking the bulk of the attribution?

Mack

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Mack A

The Time Decay attribution model gives credits to different clicks leading to the conversion based on time. It works on 7-day half-life model. For instance, a click 8 days before a conversion gets half as much credit as a click 1 day before a conversion. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Mack A

I see that @Ratan-Jha replied while I was away, If you have any follow-ups - please post

Highlighted

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

@Ratan-Jha @MosheTLV Thank you guys - appreciate the help.

Re: Last-click Attribution Modelling for AdWords Conversions

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have used the last click attribution model for my universal app campaigns also but i am bit confused by the Limited by budget message.

1. The campaign seems to send all the only in first 4-5 hours of the day but hasnt managed to reach the target CPA set but is asking me to increase the spend.

I can understand if the Expected CPA = Current CPA and campaign shows limited by budget. If the Expected CPA < Current CPA shouldnt the universal app campaign try to spread the add during the day and try to find leads that are cheaper to ensure the Expected CPA is <= Target CPA before the total budget is spent?

has anyone seens this and can explain the reasoning?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.