AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Planner - Getting Exact Match Results

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Using the new keyword planner, how to get exact match results? If I create a search like "pediatric dentist", it defaults showing broad match results.......I can tell because it includes keywords such as "dentures" and "orthodontist".

I see the icon on the far right (looks like a pencil?) and you can select "exact match", but when I make that selection the results don't change?

What am I doing wrong? In my example above, I should only see keywords that include "pediatric dentist"......

Thanks,

Jeff Coleman

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Keyword Planner - Getting Exact Match Results

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Jeffrey,

First, the Keyword Planner is using all exact match data where the older Keyword Tool did not. You can find more info about the differences in the two tools here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3141229

I think you are you referring to this option:

add keywords as

This is primarily for specifying which match type you would like to use when adding the keywords to your account, not so much to manipulate the data based on the match type.

These tools are generally going to show you many variations of keywords as the tools are meant for keyword exploration.  If you move over to the Keyword Ideas tab, you'll see your specific keyword at the top with estimated data.

As a side note, I think your workaround is probably perfect for what you're trying to do.  But, keep in mind, Google may know more about which type of search terms are being used to seek out a pediatric dentist so It's often a good idea to review these lists.  You can also come up with good ideas for negative keywords this way as well.

Hope this helps!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Warning: AdWords interface instructions or screenshots in this thread may be out of date as we move to the new AdWords experience.

LEARN MORE

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I think I figured it out...........over on the lower left side of the screen of the keyword planner, there is a "include/exclude" option..........for my example above, if you add "pediatric dentist" to the "include" section, it appears to filter the way I want........I guess I don't understand the broad/exact match options near the top search screen.....
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Jeffrey,

First, the Keyword Planner is using all exact match data where the older Keyword Tool did not. You can find more info about the differences in the two tools here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3141229

I think you are you referring to this option:

add keywords as

This is primarily for specifying which match type you would like to use when adding the keywords to your account, not so much to manipulate the data based on the match type.

These tools are generally going to show you many variations of keywords as the tools are meant for keyword exploration.  If you move over to the Keyword Ideas tab, you'll see your specific keyword at the top with estimated data.

As a side note, I think your workaround is probably perfect for what you're trying to do.  But, keep in mind, Google may know more about which type of search terms are being used to seek out a pediatric dentist so It's often a good idea to review these lists.  You can also come up with good ideas for negative keywords this way as well.

Hope this helps!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Tommy, thanks for the reply.....I understand that G is listing additional key words and phrases similar to my search term entered, but in this specific example, I'm only looking for search terms that include a specific phrase, no other related terms are needed...

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I tried to use Keyword matching options with Keyword tool, but getting same stats with every match. I think that match type isn't working currently or it's probably a bug with Keyword tool..

Regards
Puneet

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Puneet,

I'm going to suggest that you re-read my post and view the image again. The match type options are for adding new keywords to your account.  It even says the data will not be updated when you choose those options.

-Tommy

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
@PPCBossman Thanks for the reply, now the confusion is clear to me..Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tommy,

Thanks for your reply. Btw, could u plz tell me how to show the Broad Match with the new Google Planner Tool. I tried to do but it seems nothing happened. It has just show the exact match even i chose Broad Match Type.

I am looking forward for your reply.
Thanks,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Try clicking on the "Keyword ideas" tab - which is to the right of the "Ad group ideas tab"