AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Is there a way of breaking down the value of multiple conversions?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi All,

I have spent the morning trying to find a way to break down the value attached to a single keyword and I can't find a way to do it?

In AdWords if a keyword has had multiple conversions, it just gives the number of conversions and either a total conversion value or an average value. 

I need to know the breakdown of the value in order to determine which conversion is which in my own systems. 

Does anyone know a way to do this?

You would save my life if you do!! Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Laura

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is there a way of breaking down the value of multiple conversions?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

I am not entirely sure about your question but i think you are referring to multiple types of conversions which you have defined in your account. You can pull a report for these at adgroup level from dimensions tab as shown in the picture. 

Not sure if that answers your question , hope it helps

convtype.PNG

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Laura, reporting on Conversions in AdWords is actually quite limited, as you've found.  If you need really detailed information on sales, figures, products, etc. you'll get that in Analytics, not AdWords.  You can, of course, segment the data for "paid" so it effectively becomes an AdWords report.

Conversion tracking in AdWords is great for an "overview" but it's not good at the detail.

Analytics Ecommerce Tracking

If it's not actually an Ecommerce site you can still get a better level of detail by using Analytics Goals.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi theniks

Yeah I have that detail, it's just if more than one of the conversion types occurs from a single keyword there is no way to see the breakdown of the value?

Thank you for your help Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Cobnut,

I can't use Anayltics for this as the way the two systems report on conversions is different.

AdWords tracks every conversion made within 30 days from a click and Analytics tracks every conversion made within 60 so the information wouldn't match up.

Smiley Sad

Thanks for your help Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Do you need it to "match up"?  I was really suggesting that you use Analytics full stop - without refering to conversions inside the AdWords interface.  If you need to know which conversions (goals) a particular Keyword is triggering and to what degree, Analtyics can tell you this, does it matter if it's over 30 days or longer?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Actually the Analytics default duration for campaign cookies is 6 months. It's only 60 days if you've set it like that on purpose, via _setCampaignCookieTimeout.

The issue is that in AdWords, any conversion which happens within 30 days from the last ad click, is attributed to AdWords.

In analytics though, if the visitor that clicked the ad comes back to your site via an organic visit or a referral link (within 30 days), and then converts, AdWords will still attribute the conversion to itself (greedy little thing Smiley Happy ) and Analytics will attribute it to the source of the last click.

If the conversion takes place between day 31 and 6 months, AdWords will not register the conversion, and Analytics will still attribute it to the last click. If the last click is direct, Analytics will attribute it to AdWords until 6 months pass, and in Adwords that conversion will be invisible.

So it's tricky.

If nobody steals the AdWords conversion (if the conversion happens right after an ad click or after a direct visit at most), you can have a look at Analytics and you'll see each of the many per click conversions attributed to that keyword.

If, however, the second conversion happens after an organic click, Analytics will not report it as an AdWords conversion, but an organic one, and will show it as an assisted conversion for that keyword.

If the third conversion happens after a referral click (a click on a link on another website pointing to your website), again, analytics will credit that referral and show (in Multi Channel Funnels), another assisted conversion for that keyword.

If the conversions have different values, all you'll see, in Multichannel Funnels, is two assisted conversions for 500 EUR (an example). But you will not know that it is a 350 EUR conversion followed by a 150 EUR one, or two 250 EUR conversions.

So, like I said, it's tricky ...

I don't think that what you want (to tie each of the three conversions, individually) to the same ad click in the past, regardless of the following visit sources, can be done without some custom programming (or through a visitor level custom variable in Analytics and maybe some kind of overriding of sources).

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi AdWiser,

Thanks for this - I didn't know that about Analytics, that's really helpful thank you.

Do you have any advice for me on what I can do?

I need to be able to match up AdWords data with our own internal systems.  Our internal system is able to track a conversion from the keword and attribute it to AdWords.

The problem I have is that in order to be able to match the data up (with AdWords attributing conversions to the click and our internal systems attributing conversions to the day) by matching up the value of the sale. My problem with this is that if a keyword has had more than one conversion, AdWords just gives you a total conversion value or an average of the two. It doesn't let you break them down to see them individually making it impossible for me to match them up.

The other problem is match type and if there is a way for us to be able to tell the difference between different match types of the same keyword?

Any help on this would be so greatly appreciated - it's the last piece of the puzzle in us being able to report 100% on AdWords!

Thanks everyone Smiley Happy

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

Addressing your concern about matching data with your internal system : Well to be very honest this is going to be practically impossible for one simple reason. Adwords conversion is attributed to click date rather than conversion date. So if user clicked on your ad on 20th of Feb and converted on 1st of march the conversion will be attributed on 20th of Feb and not on 1st of march. From what i understand most of ecom driven systems dont consider click date and they consider conversion date for attribution.

Now addressing your 2nd point about match types: Well in adwords every match type is a diffrent keyword so you can track conversions at keyword level easily for each match type. Now if you want to pass on match type to your internal system then you can use value track parameter {matchtype} in your URL like matchtype={matchtype} which in real time will render as matchtype=("b" for broad match, "p" for phrase match, or "e" for exact match.), which in turn you can pass to your internal system for attribution.

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hello, Laura.

I'm thinking about it. But please tell me what does your system do in this case: adwords click yesterday, organic click today, then conversion. AdWords will report today's organic conversion as being yesterday's AdWords conversion.

And you have ValueTrack for match type: http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375447?hl=en.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.