AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Is it possible do duplicate the GCLID in a URL tracking template?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

With a client we are developing a universal linking solution via Adjust. When someone clicks an ad, we're checking whether that person has the app installed. If yes - then link to the app. If no - then to mobile website.

The link looks like this (simplified):
adjust.com/APPSCREENNAME/?redirect=(www.fallbacktomobilesite.com & UTMorGCLID) & UTMorGCLID.

Thus in short, we need UTM tags or a GCLID for the app screen link AND the fallback link to the mobile website. That allows us to track traffic properly in Google Analytics.

UTM is "easy", we can add the tags to both links. However, we would like to have all the benefits of the GCLID. But the GCLID is only appended to the end of the tracking URL which means that only the deeplink receives the GCLID.

We want to know whether it is possible to give the fallback URL the same GCLID, for example through a (valid) placeholder {GCLID} like this: adjust.com/SCREENNAME/?redirect=(www.fallbacktomobilesite.com & {GCLID}) & appendedGCLID.

Anyone experience with this?

Thanks in advance!
Tomas

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Tomas V

Unfortunately there is no easy way out of this I have faced similar issue and we worked with our MNP to resolve this issue. In your case you need to work with adjust to make sure that they have a mechanism to read GCLID  and append it at the end of either Deep Link or Msite URL whichever is destination for the click. 

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Nik,

Thanks for your reply. In adjust they appear to have a placeholder for the GCLID, but we are not sure how to use it. Currently we are trying a few combinations, but yet without success...

Thanks for thinking with us Smiley Happy

Tomas

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Tomas, 

Did you manage to solve this issue? We're struggling with the same issue here. 

Thank you,

Jeremy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ha Jeremy,

Not yet. I'm still interested in a working solution, although currently we're checking more fundamental issues first. 

Let's keep this thread open and post something when we discover something...

Thanks,
Tomas