AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Is a display campaign age segment missing ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello ,

I recently read the age conditions for having a google account (starting from 13 years old ) :

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/1350409?hl=en

Now in the configuration of a Display campaign I am seeing only 6 age segments starting from 18 years old + the unknown.

Google also has a lot of settings for protecting children , so they are aware when a child browses :

http://www.google.com/goodtoknow/familysafety/

My question is , why is there no "bellow 18 years old" segment present in the Display campaign options so we can use it mainly for exclusion purposes, because it is less useful for paid Ads ?

All the prerequisites seem to be there, but we cannot take advantage of them in adwords.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: Is a display campaign age segment missing ?

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Adrian,

If you're wanting to exclude the <18 year old age group, you can just select to target a different, specific group (if you aren't targeting them, there's no need to exclude them). The <18 year old crowd falls into the "Unknown" age bucket in the targeting section. So by not selecting that group, you're effectively excluding anyone that's not yet 18. Hope that helps!

Screen Shot 2013-07-15 at 9.00.28 AM.png

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Adrian,

If you're wanting to exclude the <18 year old age group, you can just select to target a different, specific group (if you aren't targeting them, there's no need to exclude them). The <18 year old crowd falls into the "Unknown" age bucket in the targeting section. So by not selecting that group, you're effectively excluding anyone that's not yet 18. Hope that helps!

Screen Shot 2013-07-15 at 9.00.28 AM.png

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Good point , didn't notice that info bubble. If unknown age segments didn't account for 30 % of the clicks that I am seeing , excluding that would have been good, but I suppose it will be improved in the future.