AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Invalid AdWords gclid

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys,

I am facing this invalid gclid problem since last few months.

The Ad Destination URL http://www.shytobuy.uk/vigrx-capsules.html from the AdWords account 123@domain.com:************ has accrued a significant number of clicks but a lower-than-expected number of corresponding sessions because the page is dropping or altering the gclid parameter inserted by Google. Check the web server's redirect logic or its use of a URL rewrite engine to ensure the gclid parameter is preserved.

This issue used to show for many pages on my website, at this moment as per GA notification its there on 3 pages. If i consider past it used to appear for other urls as well.

I have seen few discussions over this topic but not sure about the exact problem and solution.

Can anybody please explain me in detail?

Many thanks,

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Invalid AdWords gclid

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Andrea,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

When someone clicks on your AdWords Ad and lands on your website, Google ads Gclid  to your existing URL to be able to proper tracking of the ads performance. 

For instance, your Ads Destination URL is mywebsite.com/mypage.html , Google will make it something like

mywebsite.com/mypage.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAq_SkBRC3jLvJ1IPt2eIBEiQASUZy18

Now what's happening is that your web server is stripping off this gclid from the URL. This is the reason Analytics is reporting it. 

You should connect with your website developer to check if your site redirect is misconfigured to strip off this glcid. 

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello,

In addition to what Ratan said, here's one troubleshooting reference which you could use to further investigate the GCLID parameter issues happening in your Google Analytics account: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2938246?hl=en

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ratan,

Thanks for your quick reply. I will get it checked with my developer and get back to you if issue remains unchanged.

Thanks,
Andrea

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pankaj,

I tried that, but everything seems fine. Whats happening with my website is that the urls which GA showing in analytics are getting changed. Last month the url which had issues is ok now. At that time also i debugged my landing page and it was all ok.

Thanks,
Andrea

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello,

It looks like some issue while tagging your website using Analytics code. Did you speak with your developer regarding the website URL structure and whether it accepts the GCLID parameter as already discussed above?

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi andrea d,
I have the same error as you, so you should specific guidance how to fix it?
What did you do and how to do it?
Look forward to your help!
Thank you very much!