AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Import from Google Analytics greyed out...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have gone through the steps to link Adwords with a particular Analytics profile under Data Sources, however the button to import conversions from Google Analytics is still greyed out. 

I have read people having the same issue and the responses seem to be that sometimes it takes time between when you link Analytics and Adwords and when the import feature becomes available. Unfortunately none of the original posters have come back to say that this was indeed the issue. 

Can anyone confirm that simply waiting will result in the import button becoming available, or are there other steps I should be taking to resolve this issue?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Import from Google Analytics greyed out...

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi TheBlindMakerSmiley Happy

You were quite right in saying that it takes time between linking your AdWords and Analytics accounts before the "import from Google Analytics" button becomes clickable! Firstly, you have to have goals or transactions in your linked Analytics account that have been completed by "paid search traffic" users - ie. as a result of a user clicking on your AdWords ads and going to your website to complete the convresion. 

Once you have goals/ ecommerce transactions compelted by paid search traffic users, you then usually have to wait about 2 weeks for the "import from Google Analytics" button to become clickable. Once you do click the import button only data going forward will be imported into the conversions section of your AdWords account. More info on this is available here.  

Just to be sure that your all set up correctly Smiley Happy, you should also double check the following;

- Your accounts are linked

- You already opted into data sharing in Analytics

- You enabled auto-tagging in AdWords 

Hope that helps you to resolve the issue! Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

You can import Analytics data into AdWords Conversion Tracking if you meet the following requirements:

1. Linked your AdWords and Google Analytics accounts
  2. Enabled Data Sharing with other products
  3. Enabled auto-tagging in your AdWords account

Please check if you have done all 3 steps mentioned above especially step #2

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, I believe I have done all 3 steps. 

1. in AdWords if I go to Tools & Analysis -> Google Analytics and then click on Admin, select the account and click the data sources tab I see a checkmark indicating the Adwords account is linked to the Analytics account and the specific profile I want to import Goals from is selected under 'Usage in Analytics'

2. In Analytics, if I go to Account Settings the two checkboxes under Data Sharing Settings, With other Google products only and Anonymously with Google and others are both checked.

3. Tracking is set to auto tagging in Adwords

Any further help would be greatly appreciated!

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Tom

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

Yeah I agree with tom here you should wait for 48 hrs I missed that point

Regards, Nik

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Many thanks to you both - I'll hold fast for now then. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi TheBlindMakerSmiley Happy

You were quite right in saying that it takes time between linking your AdWords and Analytics accounts before the "import from Google Analytics" button becomes clickable! Firstly, you have to have goals or transactions in your linked Analytics account that have been completed by "paid search traffic" users - ie. as a result of a user clicking on your AdWords ads and going to your website to complete the convresion. 

Once you have goals/ ecommerce transactions compelted by paid search traffic users, you then usually have to wait about 2 weeks for the "import from Google Analytics" button to become clickable. Once you do click the import button only data going forward will be imported into the conversions section of your AdWords account. More info on this is available here.  

Just to be sure that your all set up correctly Smiley Happy, you should also double check the following;

- Your accounts are linked

- You already opted into data sharing in Analytics

- You enabled auto-tagging in AdWords 

Hope that helps you to resolve the issue! Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Many thanks for the reassurances from everyone who replied, the button is no longer greyed out for me and the first of the goals has become available for import. 

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Great TheBlindMaker

Best luck with your campaign

Regards, Nik

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Can you please confirm whether it takes 2 days (48 hours) or 2 weeks before the "import from Google Analytics" button  becomes clickable?  

I am currently working on the GOMC, and if the timeframe is indeed 2 weeks, this information should be made available in the GOMC Guidelines.  It seems to be a bit of "bottleneck."