AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How to Change Keyword Match Types

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I  have  campaign  that providing  less impressions and  clicks  1-2  conversions  with exact  and  phrase  match.what's  the  situation  if  i change  same  keywords  to  modifier  broad. it seems i can loose  my previous  keywords  stats  .how it's  possible to  convert  modifier broad .

you want me to pause  existing  keywords and  add same keywords for  another  match type.

Thank You 

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author harish R
September 2015

Re: How to Change Keyword Match Types

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello

Edit and change = lose statistics, it's like deleting the keyword and building a new one that replaces it.

So you guessed right, pause and add is a better move.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Harish R,

You don't lose the stats. Nothing ever disappears forever. You just need to include the deleted keywords (select "All"), and set a date range to include when the keyword was active.

When you change the match type of a keyword, the previous stats are no longer relative to the new keyword. Otherwise, you would need to keep track of when the match type was changed when looking at the change in performance.

It doesn't really matter how you do this. If you add the keyword as the new match type and pause the old match type, you won't e see current data for the old match type any way, and you still need to look at "All" and set the date range properly to be able to compare performance before and after the match type change.

And I would suggest that testing the different match type at different times, rather than running simultaneously, gives you skewed results. It would be better to run the less restrictive types at the same time, in other words, add the keyword with the new match type and do not pause the current one. Run these side by side for a period of time. If the exact match is less profitable than the less restrictive match types, lower the bid. Then run search term reports to find out which queries trigger your keywords with good performance. Add those as phrase or exact match.

If phrase or broad match modified outperform exact match, and exact is a loss, you might want to delete that exact match keyword and add it as a negative.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello

Edit and change = lose statistics, it's like deleting the keyword and building a new one that replaces it.

So you guessed right, pause and add is a better move.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Harish R,

You don't lose the stats. Nothing ever disappears forever. You just need to include the deleted keywords (select "All"), and set a date range to include when the keyword was active.

When you change the match type of a keyword, the previous stats are no longer relative to the new keyword. Otherwise, you would need to keep track of when the match type was changed when looking at the change in performance.

It doesn't really matter how you do this. If you add the keyword as the new match type and pause the old match type, you won't e see current data for the old match type any way, and you still need to look at "All" and set the date range properly to be able to compare performance before and after the match type change.

And I would suggest that testing the different match type at different times, rather than running simultaneously, gives you skewed results. It would be better to run the less restrictive types at the same time, in other words, add the keyword with the new match type and do not pause the current one. Run these side by side for a period of time. If the exact match is less profitable than the less restrictive match types, lower the bid. Then run search term reports to find out which queries trigger your keywords with good performance. Add those as phrase or exact match.

If phrase or broad match modified outperform exact match, and exact is a loss, you might want to delete that exact match keyword and add it as a negative.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords