AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How can I find keywords in my AdWords Account that do not have advertising competition?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good day, Googlers!

I want to pull a list of keywords in my Adwords Account that have no competitors in the AdWords Paid Search auctions. I want to identify keywords that I'm advertising in but have no competitors when the actual ads are shown.

I would think that using the Auctions Insight report would be enough, but there seems to be gaps in the data: the system only produces data for a certain impression share of the total data, and, using this route on individual keywords is way too much work in a big account.

Is there an easy way to get a report like this? 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mayson D
October 2016

How can I find keywords in my AdWords Account that do not have advertising competition?

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Hello @Mayson D,

What you can do is go the keyword planner and put the seed keyword. The planner would show you results related to your seed keywords. Now sort the keywords in a manner that  lowest competition keywords show on top and keywords with the highest competition at the bottom.

This way you might get keywords with lowest competition. 

Regards,

Syed Sayem Mustafa

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Mayson,

That's a great question!

Outside of the Auction Insights report (which has the limitations you identified), I don't know of a way to pull the data you want.

You could filter your keywords to look at all keywords with an average position of 1, and then sort by least expensive CPCs. If you have any keywords for which your ads are showing and you don't have any competition, you'll likely see very low CPCs and an average position of 1.

I will say that it's unlikely that you have many (or possibly any) keywords for which your ads are showing and no competitors' ads are showing.

Best,

John

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mayson D
October 2016

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Hello @Mayson D,

What you can do is go the keyword planner and put the seed keyword. The planner would show you results related to your seed keywords. Now sort the keywords in a manner that  lowest competition keywords show on top and keywords with the highest competition at the bottom.

This way you might get keywords with lowest competition. 

Regards,

Syed Sayem Mustafa

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Mayson,

I'd say that both above methods seem workable, perhaps John's one is easier to implement while Sayem's one may lead to involving additional terms. Additionally I would note that it is not easy to imagine an advertising scenario under which reaching the objective set out in the original query would be superior to the solutions in the 2 replies.

Best,

Lakatos

Re: How can I find keywords in my AdWords Account that do not have advertising competition?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks John,

I've given it some thought and it seems like we're going to have to find
some way of getting the results manually. I think I know at a high level
where those keywords of mine may be sitting, so it's already a step in the
right direction.

Low Position + Low CPCs > definitely a step in the right direction.

Thanks for your help,

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Some good approaches posted here already.  Another way you can identify keywords with less competition is to use a 3rd party tool like SpyFu or KeywordSPY (no affliation).  I know SpyFu offers a trial subscription.  These firms are continuously building a database on AdWords campaigns by entering many millions of keywords into Google search then harvesting data from the SERP pages.  They can show you the number of campaigns targeting a keyword, estimated monthly ad spend, ad history, and competitiveness of a keyword; even estimated CPC's.  Their data is generally more reliable for higher volume and nationwide/global keywords, versus local market keywords.

But keep in mind, if a keyword isn't being bid on already there is likely a reason for that - it's unprofitable being, a primary suspectSmiley Happy  Keywords are bid up because they are useful to someone.  That doesn't mean they will be useful to YOUR business, but they are expensive and competitive for a reason.  The converse is also true: cheap keywords are cheap for a reason. There are some exceptions but after 16 years of AdWords, they are rare.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Great advice! I've had some amazing success in expanding keyword strategies, but with the latest changes to the Paid Search space, I'm seeing quite substantial canniballisation in SEO space.

I'm quite surprised myself to find some areas that we're advertising on with no competition, and also that we rank first in SEO.

So yeah, paid search is paid search, it might display cheap leads on the offset - but we're trying to scale down on unnecessary paid search.

Rare as they are, there isn't much to suggest that these terms won't be bid on in future. 

Let's see,

Again, thanks for your input