AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

High Ad Clicks, Low Visits in Analytics for Content / Display Network

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm seeing over 2 times as many clicks than visits for ads on the Content Network. I have auto-tagging enabled. For some domains such as adsenseformobileapps.com the difference is over 10 times. Is anyone else seeing a discrepancy like this?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Shug
September 2015

Re: High Ad Clicks, Low Visits in Analytics for Content / Display Network

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 12
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

UPDATE: So I've figured out that I'm seeing this behaviour on mobile devices. My best guess is that these devices do not have Javascript and cookies enabled and thus the visits are not being tracked correctly but Adwords is reported the correct clicks. I'm seeing this behaviour on both the Search and Display network on mobile devices. I was just getting a much larger proportional amount of mobile traffic from the Display network. I do not have a separate mobile site (i.e. mobile traffic is to same site and non-mobile traffic). If people can confirm that this makes sense or that they are seeing the same behaviour it would be beneficial.

EDIT:

Turns out Analytics wasn't tracking the mobile visits properly.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Shug,

Keep in mind that AdWords clicks and Analytics visits are not synonymous. Multiple clicks on an ad by the same user could register as only one visit by Analytics. Also, invalid clicks in AdWords are not counted as visits in Analytics. These are a few issues that you could be encountering. 

Refer to this link for more possibilities - http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1231009

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Shug,

In addition to Bluelon helpful reply, Please check you are seeing the Placements report at Google analytics under Advertising section. Also check you are using the same date range and make sure you linked the analytics with adwords from the begining, b/c Analytics will show adwords data at the moment you connect it with adwords, you can't see past data at adwords.

Dinesh
My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply. I understand the difference between clicks and visits but find it hard to believe how this could acccount for the large difference, especially since a differenct gclid should start a new visit session.

In terms of invalid clicks, I am seeing these clicks in Adwords so if they are invalid, Adwords is not detecting them.

In addition I only have a few landing pages and am consistently seeing the same behaviour from the content network ads while the search ads that point to the same pages are much more reasonable.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply. Yes my accounts have been linked from the beginning, and I am looking at the Placements report. The date range is the same.

I see the discrepancy in the Data Feed Query Explorer (http://code.google.com/apis/analytics/docs/gdata/gdataExplorer.html)

for example with

dimesions = ga:adDistributionNetwork

metrics = ga:visits,ga:adClicks

Gives

ga:adDistributionNetwork?ga:visits ga:adClicks 
(not set)25870
Content20414193
Google Search12591416

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Shug,

I'll suggest you to check the Google analytics tracking code of your landing page, if there is some error or you missed some javascript codes you can't track the all visits to your landing pages properly.

Both search and display network people have different behaviour, search network audience is more potentail than display b/c these people are actually looking for your product and services. Where as in display network people see ads as per their interest or showing ads to users who are browsing sites that should be in some way relevant to the product or service. It would be btter if you create different camapigns for both network and write very specific ad texts for search and display network.

Dinesh
My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks DineshSEM. There are only 3 landing pages and they seem to be tracking fine for the other sources.

I understand the behavioural differences between search and content network. I do have a separate campaign for display only. The different behaviour of the networks doesn't justify such a large discrepancy IMO. Shouldn't the multiple clicks have different gclids hence start a new visit session?

Also, I have checked the destination urls of the ads and can't see any problems. (Only 3 different dest. urls across account)

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Shug,

First, I would disagree that invalid clicks in AdWords do not count as visits in Analytics.

Next, I will disagree with you that a click wiht a different gclid would start a new session on Analytics. The gclid identifies the campaign, ad group, ad and keyword that triggered the ad. There is no reason so assume the gclid will be different each time an ad is clicked. AdWords assigns a cookie when an ad is clicked. Analytics also assigns a cookie to the browser when a page on your site is visited. That cookie remains with the browser regardless of the gclid. So, mulitple clicks by the same user on your ad will only result in one visit.

Another thing that could affect your counts is if the user has disabled cookies or idf the user has disabled javascript.

This is on the display network? What I would do is look for websites providing a large number of clicks with no conversions. I would then add those sites to the site exclusions fotr the campaign or the ad group. Also, look for web sites providing you with clicks but the content of the site is completely unrelated to your offer and exclude them also. You could manually tag (leave auto-tagging enabled) with _utm_placement={placement} in your destination URL. Not all sites will provide this data, but some will. You could then look through your web logs to find out which sites are sending the high-bounce-rate traffic.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the response petebardo.

I'm not sure where I gave you the impression that I thought that invalid clicks in Adwords would not count as visits in Analytics. The problem is that I am seeing much more clicks than visits, not vice versa.

I understand that the gclid is not neccessarily different everytime, but if it does change it should trigger a new visit session. Given this it doesn't seem reasonable to have twice as many clicks than visits.

If cookies and/or javascript is disabled would Analytics still record the click but not the visit? I'm seeing the clicks being reported in Analytics.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am also facing the same problem....difference is more than 2 times