AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Help Interpreting Decrease of impressions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just have been playing around with one of my campaigns to see what works better. Since I have changes a few things around my impressions went down (by a lot). Last Tuesday we had 15,835 impressions and this Tuesday we had 1,404 impressions. But with the clicks last Tuesday we had 6 clicks and this Tuesday we had 7 clicks.

How concerned should i be about the dramatic decrease in impressions? and how should i interpret them?

Re: Help Interpreting Decrease of impressions

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
You shouldn't be worried. That is great signal you made the right tweaks and target right kind of customers.
If you need more help, feel free to ask.
Regards.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Natalie,

Are you talking about the display ads? If yes, please check your placement report to review this change. More importantly, this should have also increase your CTR, a sign of positive Adwords outcome.

For search ads, you should also check for your keywords' performance. And finally, analyse those changes that you done recently.

I hope this helps.

Kapil M

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

If those changes are in a Search campaign, I would ask : have you switched keyword match types from broad (which look like natural written language) to phrase or exact match ?

This should explain the decrease of impressions, because the simple broad match type can match a lot more search terms than phrase match for the same words.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Natalie,
Just my thoughts - looks like you've been able to dramatically increase your CTR, which is great! However, you have decreased Impressions significantly. Again, your CTR is great, but my concern is that you've maybe blocked relevant Impressions. Changing Match Types and adding Negatives is a great way to reduce irrelevant Impressions, but doing so will always decrease your reach. Again, from a CTR standpoint, you've done a great job, just make sure that you're not missing out on potential Impressions that have a chance to convert.