AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Website Call Extension Not Working with Proper Code

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have two websites where the google tracking code for AdWords call tracking for websites in installed properly. Chrome tag manager acknowledges the script and gives it a green light but the phone numbers do not change.  

www.avprva.com

www.highway43storage.com

Thanks to anyone who can help.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
April 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Benjamin,

The number will only change for people who have visited your site by clicking on your ad.

If you don't click on your own ad, you won't see it change.

However, in this case, your code isn't correct - it has only been half done.

I suggest you start again as Google has improved the call scripts. Create a new call conversion in AdWords, and enter the phone number where prompted. This is a single piece of javascript that goes in the header. It is much less complicated than the version you have tried.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
April 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Benjamin,

The number will only change for people who have visited your site by clicking on your ad.

If you don't click on your own ad, you won't see it change.

However, in this case, your code isn't correct - it has only been half done.

I suggest you start again as Google has improved the call scripts. Create a new call conversion in AdWords, and enter the phone number where prompted. This is a single piece of javascript that goes in the header. It is much less complicated than the version you have tried.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Thanks.

I should have clarified. I know what I'm doing when it comes to all the basics like you have to click on your ad, I have tried Google's new code which results in the same error as the old code which I tried later because the new code does not work.

I still have no idea why their code (new, old) will not switch out the phone number when the cookie is clearly set and the code is clearly being found and is formatted correctly. It's baffling. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, Now I have calls being converted in AdWords Account but the number still won't switch out for me even though the GA cookie is set on the website.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Benjamin,

I have yet to come across a site where call tracking doesn't work, if:

I use the new code, including the phone number, formatted the same as on the website

The code is above </head>

The campaign(s) have a call extension for that same phone number

The phone number on the site is text (not an image) 

The phone number on the site is not in an iframe

And I add this code to several sites per day...