AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Good quality score and bad position: why?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Do you have any ideas on why the quality score of your keyword can be 10/10 and the position of that keyword 4,9. I know that position is one of the scores used in calculating the quality score, but how can my keyword have a good quality score and a bad position? 

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Jeltje

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeltje V
March 2017

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Jeltje V

the short answer is that your bid is not high enough. Your position is determined by your Ad Rank score.  Ad Rank = (Quality Score * CPC Bid)  Since you have maxed out your QS, good work on that by the way, your only option is to raise your bid.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeltje V
March 2017

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Jeltje V

the short answer is that your bid is not high enough. Your position is determined by your Ad Rank score.  Ad Rank = (Quality Score * CPC Bid)  Since you have maxed out your QS, good work on that by the way, your only option is to raise your bid.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

This signals a fierce competition. In this scenario, as @David K mentioned, you should higher the bid to win a higher position.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@David K, thank you for your help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@MosheTLV thank you for your help Smiley Happy!

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey @Jeltje V

Aside from the excellent answers already, it may be worth segemtning this by device and determining if all devices are sharing this average position, or is it 1 particular device. I have seen at times for example, there can be significant differences between devices. Its worth adding this to the mix and using a bid modifer perhaps on the devices you wish you hold an average high position.

best of luck

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for this! I'm currently experiencing a very similar situation to the OP, and this was my suspicion also! Problem is, I want/need to improve Ad Rank but don't want to just push bids up and then subsequently increase my CPA significantly too? - Any thoughts?