AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Geographic Report with Search Terms

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to make a report that shows the search terms but I need to filter it for specific countries.

I've gone to Dimensions > Search Terms but can't seem to add a country filter.

I've also gone to Dimensions > Geographic but can't seem to add the search term column.  Also it shows all countries at once and I only want to show one country at a time.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Geographic Report with Search Terms

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Kurt D,

You may be able to get this data in GA - Try a Geo > Location report for an AdWords segment and a secondary dimension of 'Matched Search Query'.

You'll need to download the report and probably do a little work from there but I think this is the data set you're looking for.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Kurt D,

You may be able to get this data in GA - Try a Geo > Location report for an AdWords segment and a secondary dimension of 'Matched Search Query'.

You'll need to download the report and probably do a little work from there but I think this is the data set you're looking for.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Kurt,

Unfortunately, these two reports cannot be pulled simultaneously in AdWords. You can use Analytics (create a custom filter) to get this combination in a single report. More info from the GA forum here.

Hope this helps,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hey Sumanth,

While I agree that the solution is likely found in GA and potentially in a custom report, I wanted to share a couple of things to consider here in your response.

1. That thread is from 2010 - Quite a bit has changed since then
2. The way it's explained in that particular post, it does not appear that it will segment just AdWords data. It seems to be just an overall approach for all website visitors.

Smiley Happy

-Tommy

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@PPCBossman wrote:
Hi Kurt D,

-Tommy

Hi PPCBossman,

I tried that and it looks like it would have the information except only some of the rows with 1 session in the specific region show the search term. The rows with multiple sessions per region say (not set). Basically 99% of the rows show (not set) which was one of the reasons I was trying to do this in adwords instead of analytics.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi Tommy,

Totally agree to your point here. I had Geography Vs Search term in mind, didn't notice the traffic source part. Thanks for clarifying Smiley Happy
Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Sumanth Sridhar wrote:
Hi Tommy,

Totally agree to your point here. I had Geography Vs Search term in mind, didn't notice the traffic source part. Thanks for clarifying Smiley Happy

If it includes non adwords traffic as well, I'm fine with that.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I created a new dashboard in GA, chose Table. Display the following columns : Matched Search Query and Sessions. Then applied a filter to only show country matching brazil.

The result is a list of 9 keywords showing with 1 session each. But in the first row, I get (not set) with 968 sessions. So basically the report is useless.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
After thinking about this some more, this is what I would like to see in Adwords:

For a specific Country
- Search Network > Display the keyword used.
- Display Network > Display the website where our Ad appeared.

I wouldn't mind if the report contained organic traffic data as well but I'm mostly interested in adwords traffic.