AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Don't have option to "Import from Google Analytics"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI Adwords users,

Recently I have noticed that I don't have the option to import Google Analytics conversions into Adwords for a handful of accounts. I can see the previously imported Goals and Transactions in Adwords, but can't add any new ones.

Does anyone else have this problem?

In Tools > Conversions in Adwords, several accounts are missing the "Import from Google Analytics" button. (see screenshot below)

I manage several Adwords accounts for clients via a My Client Centre (MCC) account. For every client, I link their Google Analytics account to their Adwords account, enable data sharing, and import conversions from Google Analytics when appropriate.

I understand (and can recite from memory) the linking instructions outlined here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375435?hl=en

So with all due respect, please don't answer this query with "First, you need to link your Analytics and Adwords accounts..." or basic steps in the support article above. (Thanks!)

I know how this is supposed to work, and for 3/4 of my clients accounts, I have set it up with no problems. The issue is that the button is not shown for a handful of my client accounts.

My theories so far:

- Conversion optimization may be messing with this functionality

- I am tracking via a mix of Adwords conversion tracking and Analytics conversion importing: Adwords doesn't like this

That's all I have, no other theories to test.

Please let me know if you are facing the same problem, or if you found a fix. Or just want to commiserate.

Thanks in advance!

Here's a screenshot comparison of two Adwords Tools > Conversions dashboards. Bad situation above, good below.

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eric S
September 2015

Re: Don't have option to "Import from Google Analytics"

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Eric,

In the account with the new layout - click 'Google Analytics' in the left hand navigation...you'll see your goals that are available for import listed.

I missed it too...right in front of my face. haha. Smiley Happy

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey thanks for your responses. The solution is to click on "Google Analytics" on the right hand column. (It's not the 'Conversion' button, unfortunately)  Then you have the option to import any Google Analytics Goals or Transactions from linked accounts into your Adwords.

I got a call from Google support, they looked into the matter, and it is indeed a simple interface change. But as Steve mentions, since these interface changes are rolled out slowly, only a few of my accounts have the new functionality. As Tommy points out, the interface change is actually quite intuitive. Unless you're used to doing it the previous way.

Thanks again for your responses, much appreciated.

Eric.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Working from memory - I can't check right now - I think this caught me out the other day.

I think it's a change in the interface and you should click on the new conversion butting and then import from GA - please try that - it actually does make sense except for those of us who, as you mentioned, have been doing this for years with our eyes closed! We simply know it's not where it now is, so we don't look.

It also doesn't help when Google roll changes out over time so some accounts have the new config, others the old.

Hope this helps - do let me know - if this is not it then (ha ha, obviously - I realised how stupid this was as I was writing it).... it's something else!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Eric, 

I can confirm that something is happening with the conversion workflow...in some of my accounts, I see the version (screenshot #2) with the 3 tabs and normal GA import button.  In other accounts I see similar setup to screenshot #1.  

Also in this updated UI, when creating a new conversion there seems to be an entirely new workflow. (screenshots attached).

I have not figured out how the GA import will work yet and I have literally just linked this particular account to GA so I may be on a delay.  

If you find out anything, please report back.  I'll try to do the same as I have many goals I need to import for this account.

-Tommy

conversiontracking.jpg

After choosing "Website"

conversiontracking2.jpg

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Eric,

In the account with the new layout - click 'Google Analytics' in the left hand navigation...you'll see your goals that are available for import listed.

I missed it too...right in front of my face. haha. Smiley Happy

-Tommy

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Thought so... google just moving the goalposts to keep us on our toes....
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey thanks for your responses. The solution is to click on "Google Analytics" on the right hand column. (It's not the 'Conversion' button, unfortunately)  Then you have the option to import any Google Analytics Goals or Transactions from linked accounts into your Adwords.

I got a call from Google support, they looked into the matter, and it is indeed a simple interface change. But as Steve mentions, since these interface changes are rolled out slowly, only a few of my accounts have the new functionality. As Tommy points out, the interface change is actually quite intuitive. Unless you're used to doing it the previous way.

Thanks again for your responses, much appreciated.

Eric.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hey Eric,

Looks like Google announced this change yesterday via G+ - https://plus.google.com/114353304932511604018/posts/a4tVvd7brrX

-Tommy