AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Display Network Tab - How Google calculate Clicks For Individual Keyword?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Hello All,

I was wondering How Google Adwords calculate clicks for Display Network? 

Clicks in search network purely calculated on the baisis of search query. But how with Display Network?

I thought that when someone enters a search query on Google's Search Engine & visit a website that has adsense ads via Organic Results. Now after visiting a site they saw & click adcopy. Therefore, it considered as click on display network keyword. I may sound stupid but i am very curious to know.

May be that most of the websites have google Search option available & most of them have their own search option to search content within the website.

Confused Smiley Mad

I am not good at writing too well like other members do. Plese spare me.

Thanks in Advance.

Thanks,

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
4 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Display Network Tab - How Google calculate Clicks For Individual Keyword?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Neha;

If I got you right, you are trying to track a click on GDN, back to the query that had led the user to the website, where he clicked on the ad.

On GDN clicks are counted differently: a click on an ad in a web-page, is counted no mater how the user got there: He could do an organic search - landing on that page, surfing the net and getting to that web-page, or even, if an ad is shown because the user in on a remarketing list.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Neha Gupta
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 21
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

As for bidding the ranking goes as follows from most specific (and highest priority) to lowest:

• Individual placement bid
  • Managed placements bid
  • Display Network bid
  • Individual keyword bid
  • Default bid

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=116285&from=94661&rd=1

NehaGupta:

For determining which keyword should get attribution in reports, our system picks individual keywords in an adgroup and determines the contextual relevance of each of these keywords with a given page. This contextual relevance is determined based on how strongly the keyword matches with the site's text, language, link structure, page structure, and more. The keyword with maximum relevance ends up scoring the attribution for the impression.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Neha Gupta
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 24
Badged Google Partner

"I think now advertisers needs to change strategy to prepare campaign structure for GDN."

It's not just the strategy we have to re-evaluate, but the lexicon as well. "Contextual targeting" means something now that it once did not, or it did, before it used to not anymore... Yes, definitely, I think. Smiley Happy

"What i understanding it's gonna be same just like search campaign structure."

It does seem that way doesn't it? You don't have the SQ reports you do with with search, but when one (even broad) match term generates the majority of your performance, that does seem to make a case for isolation and optimization.

But, the function of the new display tab seems to make it easier to manage all aspects of display targeting within one campaign. Which would seem to point to less optimization and isolation. At least at the campaign level...

What do you think Neha? You have already started the best practices thread, keep on leading the way. Smiley Happy

Tom

Re: Display Network Tab - How Google calculate Clicks?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey NehaGupta,

It just count the number of clicks on the Google Display Network - 

I think you got a bit confused between search / display & clicks / impressions

Please watch this video about the "display network": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A7DRqWz-3U

And you can read about these terms:

Good Luck,

Asaf

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello Asaf,

No No.. you got me wrong. Google Adwords recently started updated keywords stats for display network. I wanna know how adwords calculate clicks per keyword in display campaign.

Although, your response much appreciated.

Thanks
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Ha.... I don't have it in my interface yet - but maybe this would help:

http://adwords.blogspot.com/2012/03/better-way-to-buy-display.html

Sorry for not understanding your before :-)

Asaf

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Thanks for taking out time.

You again got me wrong. I am actually asking a logical question. The link what you have given doesn't solve my doubt.

How is adwords able to give data at individual keyword level in its new Display Network interface?

Thanks Asaf Smiley Happy

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Sorry again :-(

My guess is that it does that in the same way it calculated it if you've opened a Display Network Campaign with several AdGroups - and entered only one keyword in each AdGroup.... 

I hope I was clear - and again - its only my guess :-)

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Neha,

It looks like we have even more reason to separate seach and display campaigns. I'm wondering, since it sounds like you have the new display tab, if we run a DN only campaign, with the keyword QS be for search or for display? Before the change, the DN QS was never revealed to advertisers.

Best!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Neha;

If I got you right, you are trying to track a click on GDN, back to the query that had led the user to the website, where he clicked on the ad.

On GDN clicks are counted differently: a click on an ad in a web-page, is counted no mater how the user got there: He could do an organic search - landing on that page, surfing the net and getting to that web-page, or even, if an ad is shown because the user in on a remarketing list.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Neha,

On the Display Network, Google uses contenxtual based targeting using keywords. As part of the 'auction' process it checks your keywords to determine the relevance to the website showing ads. As your AdWords account can only reflect on one Keyword at any one time it will choose the most relevant that places it in a better position that your competitiors.

I hope this helps (even a little Smiley Happy )

Regards

Luigi

Luigi Raw

Innovation is About Imagination