AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Digits of precision for Average Position

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone,

Can someone tell me the maximum number of decimals that can be returned for Average Position?  I have looked in the keyword and ad group performance report and it only seems like 1 decimal place is returned.

I have been collecting data to do a position constrained bid strategy and noticed the following.  Please let me know if my assumptions are not correct.

From the beginning of the day a keyword collected 24 impressions and is at an average position of 2.1.  I then query the API 10 minutes later and my keyword collected 26 total impressions since the beginning of the day and is now at an average position of 2.0.  When I calculate the net average position in that 10 minutes I get a value of 0.8.  But a keyword cannot play in a position < 1.  Below is the math:

PositionInitial = 2.1

ImpressionsInitial = 24

PositionNew = 2.0

ImpressionsNew = 26

NetAveragePosition = 0.8 = (2.0*26 - 2.1*24) / 2

My only thought is there are extra digits of precision that are missing that will help me calculate a net position of 1.0.

Any thoughts? Help?

Thanks!

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Digits of precision for Average Position

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Kevin P

Its pure statistics....

The average position is calculated separately than the imprisons, and over a vast statistical sampling than an interval of 2 impressions.... 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Average position is not calculated over a vast statistical sampling, its not that complicated. I get an average position back for keywords that have 1 impression. The error must be in the number of decimal places that are given back from google.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Kevin;
I disagree.
Remember that an average has a standard deviation (assuming a normal distribution) which Google does NOT report.
For the calculation to be reliable, within a certain ststistcal level, - you must have a minimum statistical sampling size (i.e. Impressions)
2 impressions cannot be considered a statistical sampling...
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Kevin P and @MosheTLV,

I am providing you with a possible numerical example. 

In the 1st period, say accrued were 22 impressions in position #2 and 2 impression in position #3. The average position is calculated as follows:

Avg pos = (22*2+2*3)/24 = 50/24 = 2.0833..... displayed by Google as 2.1

In the second period, accrued were 2 impressions in position #1. Now the average position for the 2 periods put together is calculated as follows:

Avg pos = (22*2+2*3+2*1)/26 = 52/26 = 2.0000 ...... displayed by Google as 2.0

Kevin, of course, only saw the displayed (rounded) values in the AdWords Interface.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Is there anyway that we can get the non-rounded values back? I've check the keyword and ad group performance reports to no avail. Based on historical data my company has, I've seen 2 digits come from the ad performance report but it seems to only be on a daily level. I may have to hit this report and reconcile the net values like I am doing for keyword and ad group performance.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Kevin P;

May I ask what added value  this information would bring in optimizing your campaign performance?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Kevin P

I concur with @MosheTLV. Beyond pure curiosity, I cannot see any legit interest at advertisers' end for Google to meet the "demand" for additional digits to display in reports.

Though I managed to figure out a numerical example for you in my above post, I do not think you could use it for any kind of analysis or decision making process that advertisers usually need to face. It wasn't associated with your AdWords knowledge either; it was much more like a numerical puzzle.

Best,

Lakatos 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
There is an application for this but I dont really want to reveal what I am working on.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I have enough from here for my next steps.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
You are welcome, Kevin.