AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Difference between clicks on in-stream video Ad and Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I started my first video campaign in AdWords. My question is about in-stream video Ad and number of clicks to my website (which are visible in AdWords). There is a huge difference between this clicks and number of views in Google Analytics. Do you know why the there number of views in Analytics is about three times lower?

Re: Difference between clicks on in-stream video Ad and Analytics

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Katarzyna,

That's a great question and I think I might be able to help, but I have a quick question for you. What report in Google Analytics are you looking when you talk about views? Is it within the AdWords reporting section in GA?

You do want to make sue you've manually tagged your Video Ad urls, even if you have auto-tagging turned on because tagging for video ads won't pull through as google cpc automatically.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Bethany,

thanks for your answer. The problem is I'm sure that my video Ad was tagged properly. It was no
auto-tagging. I did it manually. I'm checking in Analytics Acquisition >> Campaign. What is strange, I see ther a lot of views from my wideo AdWords campaign, but this number in Analytics is two or three times lower than clicks to my website which I see in my wideo AdWords analytics.

I'm thinking that could be the problem with this companion banner which is optional and additional to in-stream video Ad. Is it posibble that in AdWords I see clicks on wideo Add and on companion banner together and in Analytics only this clicks on my wideo Ad? Have you got any experience with in-stream video Ads?

Sorry for my English if there are any mistakes - hope everything it's clear.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
No need to apologize, it's very clear! I do have clients running in-stream ads. In general, I always expect to see a difference between AW clicks and GA visits because they do report on them differently: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034383?hl=en

You could be seeing more clicks from in-stream in AW because if the same person, on the same device and browser, clicks on your video twice within 30 minutes it would count as 2 clicks in AW but only 1 visit in GA. I typically see more AW clicks than GA visits for videos across client accounts and it's totally normal. In one account I have 93 website clicks in AW but 40 visits in GA over the same period.

If any of your video visits have led to conversions, you can take a look at these in the Multi-Channel funnel reporting to look at the channel path and see if people are coming back through your video campaign multiple times before converting. If there aren't any conversions, unfortunately you can't see the visitor channel path although I would love for that to be available.

For the in-stream vs. companion banner, both AW and GA should report on any clicks/visits from the campaign you're running no matter from what type of ad as long as the url is tagged.

This is a great question and hope I was able to help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Bethany, thanks for your answer, it was really helpful. I completely understood, but don't know why the difference between clicks and visits is so big. I understand the difference between Clicks and Visits but we have no idea why in wideo campaign this difference is much bigger than in other campaigns (not wideo). For me it's difficult to understand that someone click to my in-stream wideo ad three or four times in 30 minuts (when I choose to show my wideo ad only 1 time during the day for each person).

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
To add to Bethany's excellent answer, another reason you might be seeing a large discrepancy is because just because someone clicks on your link, that does not guarantee that the user will actually arrive at your website. For example, if I'm viewing a video and accidentally click on the link, but never actually get to your site, that will still count as a Click, but not as a Visit.
One more potential reason is privacy settings. If a user has cookies disabled then Google Analytics will not be able to track them. Therefore, they could click on your link (count as a Click), but since GA can't see them because they have cookies disabled, it will never count as a Visit.