AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion tracking - Some technical questions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all!

I'm trying to set up conversion tracking on our company website, and have run into a problem. I'm trying to track when people submit an email enquiry form, but submission of the form does not lead to another page. Instead it redirects to the same page, but with a small notification to let the user know that the form has been sent (a div that is shown along with the rest of the page upon successful submission).

I've pondered the problem (I'm by no means good with html/javascript), and I'm thinking... would it work if I simply pasted the tracking code into the div that is shown only upon successful submission?

What do you guys think?

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Hi evangeline,   "I've pondered the problem (I'm by no me...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi evangeline,

"I've pondered the problem (I'm by no means good with html/javascript), and I'm thinking... would it work if I simply pasted the tracking code into the div that is shown only upon successful submission?"

That would certainly work, but only if that div is only included on the page after the form submission.

I suggest you think this--returning the same form on the thank you page. My experience has been this confuses the user as it's not the norm you would expect in a web application. No matter where you put your thank you message on that page, the user is likely to think the form did not submit a click on the submit button again, and again. You can remove that confusion from the user and make things much easier for yourself by creating a dedicated "thank you" page and just place the conversion code on that page. You can show them what they submitted on that page if you like, if you think it's necessary. And you could include a link back to the form if it needs to be corrected. Just a thought.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Re: Conversion tracking - Some technical questions

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
hi Evangeline,

If creating a new thank you page is not an option then you can create a conversion code tracks with an "on click' even. Basically it tracks a conversion when the form submission button is clicked. http://blog.vkistudios.com/index.cfm/2008/12/16/JavaScript-onClick-Google-AdWords-Conversion-Trackin...

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

View solution in original post

in some cases: yes   It already worked for one of my cust...

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@evangeline wrote:

would it work if I simply pasted the tracking code into the div that is shown only upon successful submission?

in some cases: yes

It already worked for one of my customers that just have pasted the conversion tracking code close to the "Thank you for your contact" message and it worked just fine. I would try it.

You can also try to track the click using Analytics event (onclick), configure the event as a Goal, link Analytics/AdWords accounts and setup to import the goal automatically as an conversion to your AdWords account.

Conversion Tracking on Form Submission.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi evangeline,

Have you explored tracking the conversion when the submit button is clicked?

Not sure if this is applicable to you but you can read more about this here.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Hi evangeline,   "I've pondered the problem (I'm by no me...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi evangeline,

"I've pondered the problem (I'm by no means good with html/javascript), and I'm thinking... would it work if I simply pasted the tracking code into the div that is shown only upon successful submission?"

That would certainly work, but only if that div is only included on the page after the form submission.

I suggest you think this--returning the same form on the thank you page. My experience has been this confuses the user as it's not the norm you would expect in a web application. No matter where you put your thank you message on that page, the user is likely to think the form did not submit a click on the submit button again, and again. You can remove that confusion from the user and make things much easier for yourself by creating a dedicated "thank you" page and just place the conversion code on that page. You can show them what they submitted on that page if you like, if you think it's necessary. And you could include a link back to the form if it needs to be corrected. Just a thought.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: Hi evangeline,   "I've pondered the problem (I'm by no me...

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Evangeline,

I completely agree with Pete, I think in order to successfully and accurately track submissions you would need a seperate page. This would be the easiest method and qould stop a lot of confusion on both the customers side and yours. Conversion codes are placed on the pages in which it is meant to track, surely if it is the same page double values will come through as well as invalid 'conversions'.

Thanks,

Liam

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Re: Conversion tracking - Some technical questions

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
hi Evangeline,

If creating a new thank you page is not an option then you can create a conversion code tracks with an "on click' even. Basically it tracks a conversion when the form submission button is clicked. http://blog.vkistudios.com/index.cfm/2008/12/16/JavaScript-onClick-Google-AdWords-Conversion-Trackin...

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'