AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Campaign level Url tracking templates not being applied. Doesn't work togueter.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi! Please help!

I am trying to get advantage of the tracking parameters at the campaign, adgroup and ad level. Only the ad level works

I have defined at the campaign level the campaign name:

1.Tracking template  

{lpurl}?c={_c}

Custom parameter  

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

You seem to expect tracking URLs to combine (so that {lpurl} at the higher level is replaced with the URL generated at the lower level). That's not how they work. Instead, the lower-level tracking URL overrides the higher-level one. That is, if you specify a tracking URL on the ad, that one is used; otherwise, the URL specified on the parent ad group (if any) is used; otherwise, the URL specified on the parent campaign (if any) is used; otherwise, the URL specified at the account level is used (ignoring for the moment tracking URLs possibly specified on targeting criteria, like keywords). After the (at most one) tracking URL is determined this way, its parameters are expanded.

Custom parameters are looked up the same way. When a parameter with a given name is mentioned in a URL (final or tracking), it's looked up on the ad first, then on the parent ad group, then on the parent campaign. Note that the URL and the parameter don't have to be on the same level - an ad-level tracking URL can refer to a parameter specified on the campaign, and vice versa.

What I think you want is this. Specify the complete tracking URL, with all the custom parameter references, at the campaign level. Then, define custom parameters that should vary per-campaign on the campaign; those that should vary per-ad group on the ad group; and those that should vary per-ad on the ad.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your reply!

Now works perfectly!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

great ! thanks for your help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have a tracking template set at the sitelink. However, it doesn't seem to pick up the custom parameters set at the campaign level and the adgroup level. Please find the example below.

At the sitelink level, have the tracking template as follows.

http://mystuff.com/rp?dxmloc={lpurl}&act=2&dkid=-1182231&source=736&mkt=61001&dkgeo={_dkgeo}&dkcat={...}

Here, though I have the custom parameters dkgeo set at the campaign level and dkcat and dkatt set the adgroup level, I do not see the values being populated.

Am I missing something here? Also, while clicking the 'Test' in tracking template field, I get a message, 'Landing page was found'. However, with the custom parameters not being set, I get the above message. So, is there a way where I could validate the tracking template. Thank you for your time on this regard.