AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Auto-tagging off by default now?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

I noticed that new accounts now seem to have auto-tagging disabled by default.

Is this a deliberate change or a bug? 

Is this something other people have noticed as well? I only realised it recently after analytics data was not flowing correctly and an ex-colleague of mine is having this problem as well.

It's not so much a problem now that we are aware of the change, but it would have been nice to know about it happening, unless this is a bug of some sort.

If anyone has any ideas on what happened I'd appreciate it if they could give us some clarification.

Re: Auto-tagging off by default now?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It's been that way in my accounts for at least the last 6 months.

Re: Auto-tagging off by default now?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I just had this happen on a new account & campaign I'm managing.   I found the following on Google's very own Adwords Help site, dated 11/13/2012:

Auto-tagging

A feature that automatically creates custom destination URLs to help you track your ad performance using website tracking programs like Google Analytics.

• If you have multiple ads that link to the same page on your website, auto-tagging will attach a parameter to your ads' destination URLs to help you tell which ad was clicked for each visit to your site.
  • Google Analytics and similar programs can use the information in auto-tagged URLs to tell you which AdWords keywords brought a visitor to your site, which campaign that keyword was from, and how much that click cost.
  • By default, auto-tagging is turned on. You can check whether auto-tagging in on, as well as turn it on or off, by going to the Preferences page under the My Account tab.