AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords conversion code and Facebook conversion code on the same page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My question is whether or not I can put an AdWords conversion tracking code on the same "thank you/confirmation" page as a Facebook Ad conversion tracking code.

The issue I'm running into is, say someone clicks on the Google Ad, is directed to the landing page I have designated, and then if the potential customer fills in the "more information section" they are directed to a third page which has the 2 codes on the same page, will they both fire, or only the respective code from the respective ad?

i.e.

Google Ad --> Landing page (fill out information, hit submit) --> Thank you page with two conversion codes.

Does this only trigger the AdWords conversion code?  And if they find the same page via facebook ads, hit submit, and get taken to the confirmation page, will the google code not track that because it came from facebook allowing facebook to count that as a conversion?

Thank you for the help.

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sean D
September 2015

Re: AdWords conversion code and Facebook conversion code on the same p

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi - AdWords conversion codes only trigger for visitors who arrive from AdWords sources.

I'm not sure whether or not this is the same for facebook, but I assume it is since both need to be able to tell you which ad/keyword combo triggered the initial visit - otherwise there is no way for them to attribute the conversion.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Sean D,

Both Facebook and AdWords conversions are based on cookies that are set when a user clicks on your ad. These are third party cookies.

If a user clicks on your AdWords ad and proceeds to your conversion page, that cookie will be delivered with the request for the script. If the cookie is not present, no conversion is recorded. The same is true for Facebook.

The only hitch here is that if a user has clicked on both your AdWords and Facebook ads, you will record a conversion for each (AW and FB). If you just ad conversions from both sources, your conversion numbers may not reconcile to your actual sales.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi - AdWords conversion codes only trigger for visitors who arrive from AdWords sources.

I'm not sure whether or not this is the same for facebook, but I assume it is since both need to be able to tell you which ad/keyword combo triggered the initial visit - otherwise there is no way for them to attribute the conversion.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Sean,

I agree with Stickleback, you can use different conversion code from different source in the same thank you page.

When a user submit the leads, all code will be fired ( that you can seen the thank you page source file ) but conversio. would be recorded for only one source through which a user come to your landing page and submit the leads. Conversion will not be recorded in all channel or source simultaneously.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Great thank you. Even though it is separated by one page, it should still be able to know which ad brought you to that confirmation page, yes?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Sean D,

Both Facebook and AdWords conversions are based on cookies that are set when a user clicks on your ad. These are third party cookies.

If a user clicks on your AdWords ad and proceeds to your conversion page, that cookie will be delivered with the request for the script. If the cookie is not present, no conversion is recorded. The same is true for Facebook.

The only hitch here is that if a user has clicked on both your AdWords and Facebook ads, you will record a conversion for each (AW and FB). If you just ad conversions from both sources, your conversion numbers may not reconcile to your actual sales.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you to everyone for helping me. Sorry if the question(s) were confusing in anyway. Thank each one of you very much!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pete, I guess I understand that both google and facebook can be in the conversion page code. I am trying to reconcile the conversions from each. Not understanding cookies, the cookie will contain where I am when I click, that is facebook and I click the add OR google and click the link to the ad. Then if I say, make a sale and get to the "thank you" page: it depends which is coded in the cookie will get the "credit" for the sale?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello all,

I am having the same exact problem and I do not believe the question has been answered. You see there is a chance that one of our/your customers has clicked in one of your Adwords Ads at sometime within the last 30 days but did not fulfill the sale.

If that same person clicks TODAY in one of your facebook ads and completes the purchase then BOTH pixels will be fired. Google Analytics will attribute the conversion to the Adwords completely overriding the fact that the last click came from Facebook.

How can one tackle this? I have been searching all over the internet for a solution but one seems to have seen this in the past. I for one need to convince my client that FB ads are delivering sales but I cannot prove that through Google Analytics, as his huge adwords spend probably has gotten to the majority of the users the FB ads reach.

The only solution that came to mind was adding a second Analytics code (property XX-XXXXX-2) that will "Allow UTM to override GCLID". Hopefully, the latest UTM might surpass the Adwords UTM

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

By default the conversion window - i.e. how long an AdWords visitor will still be attributed as an AdWords visitor for conversion purposes is 30 days... but you can change this - setting it to a shorter window - one day, for example, would probably help in your case.

However, it would mean that some returning Adwords visitors would get wrongly attributed.

Screen Shot 2014-11-02 at 00.59.52.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
You are absolutely right, but at this case we are two different agencies working two different aspecs of the client's business. They will most definitely NOT change the conversion window, as it will lower their results.

I am trying to figure out a solution without affecting any of their adword settings. Only Google analytics. To be honest, today was one of the first campaigns that NONE of my clicks appeared on Google Analytics and I believe there is something wrong with adding "optional url" parameters on Facebook ads. Maybe I should add them directly as a url.