AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Words conversions not verified/tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We recently restructured our Ad Words accounts and added in the new account tags to our site using Adobe Tag Manager. As soon as we had done this we tested the tags and they were firing on each conversion page.

We set the new accounts live and have been testing over the last 2 days but still we see no conversions.

I've checked the source code of the conevrsion pages and they contain the adobe tag manager code as opposed to the google conversion code which I assume is correct.

We have also used Google Tag Assistant and at first the tags were coming up as not working due to encoding errors but we changed the separators from amp& to just & and after that tag assistant showed the tags as working.

However still, after this we tested conversions again and still nothing has come through. I ran a debug and I can see that the conversion code runs but the full request isn't happening but I can't work out why.

I noticed adobe tag manager container tag is placed outside of the <body> section would this make a difference? If anyone has any idea whats going on I would be very grateful

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad Words conversions not verified/tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Lloyd, welcome to the Community, I'm sorry for the delay in replying.

I've not used Adobe Tag Manager so can't comment directly on this issue, however, the first part of your message makes it sound like you were previously using this before the restructuring, was it working then?

Can you post an example of the portion of code that you believe Adobe have inserted?  Are you able to look at the code for an "old" page back when it was working?

Sorry for this, but I have to ask, I presume you normally get sufficient AdWords conversions per day to be reasonably sure the code isn't working, not simply that you haven't had any AdWords conversions.  

Are you able to use the Javascript console, if so, does it display any errors on load?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Lloyd,

Tag managers are an awesome tool. However, they will bring headaches and bugs. 

With our clients sites we use a child GA-Property (GA-XXXXXXXXX-2, Not Profile or Account) to implement tag manager. You can still link the Adwords to both accounts, but this will allow you implement a tag management system for the child property that you can use to compare against your original profile.

This solution works flawlessly with debugging Tag Managers for websites the require many tags.

I recommend going back to the hard code and doing the above to fix your problems. Then you will be able to bring back exact metrics and associated codes for us to provide you with a finite solution.

Professional Help - Follow @alanmorte

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Alan

Thanks for your response. We ended up replacing amp&; separators with just & in the code and it seems to have worked.

Thanks very much for your advice though, I'll keep it in mind for future activity.

Thanks

Lloyd

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon

Hi Alan

Thanks for your response. We ended up replacing amp&; separators with just & in the code and it seems to have worked.

Thanks

Lloyd