AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

2 different campaigns, 3 different ads, 5 instances of total conversion value reported in AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi - I'm trying to understand a bit more about how the AdWords conversion tracking reports a transaction value when 2 campaigns/3 different ads result in 1 transaction. In our AdWords account Campaign A had 1 click and the corresponding product was added to the cart and the total transaction value of $1053 was attributed. Campaign B had 2 clicks with 2 corresponding products added, and is showing 4x$1053.

My theory is that since we have the conversion "count" setting at "every" that AdWords is attributing the total value of the transaction to each of the ads that were part of the purchase.

I then believe that the confirmation page was refreshed to result in the additional 2 x $1053 to Campaign B.

However, there are a few things I don't quite understand:

- If the confirmation page was refreshed with the gclid auto tag for each of the ads on it why didn't Campaign A also have 2x$1053?

- I also considered perhaps that multiple tabs were opened for each ad, and then consolidated to one cart when the user was ready to buy, but would that bring the first two gclid tags to the confirmation page or would they get left behind?

- Any other scenarios I'm not thinking of that would explain this?

Hope this is clear - thanks in advance for your help!

Re: 2 different campaigns, 3 different ads, 5 instances of total conversion value reported in AdWord

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
"My theory is that since we have the conversion "count" setting at "every" that AdWords is attributing the total value of the transaction to each of the ads that were part of the purchase."

Depends on the attribution model your'e using, the default one (Last click) shouldn't work like this.

All the other questions are a bit hard to answer without serious look at your tracking setup.