AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

nonprofit google grant AdWords campaign baseline stats available?

p w
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
p w
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Are there any nonprofit google grant AdWords campaign baseline stats available? I'd like to see average metrics for small, medium and large nonprofits. 

I think I read somewhere that most grants campaigns spend about $300 per month of the $10k available. IS that accurate?  

I'd love to see more data on spend, clicks, CTR, etc. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: nonprofit google grant AdWords campaign baseline stats available?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi p w,

The baseline stats are not shared publicly. Google did report that most grantees spend $300 per month of their $10,000 grant but that data was prior to the change from the max $1 CPC up to the new $2 max bid. Additionally, grantees also have the ability to use Google Express now, which also changes the metrics for many grantees.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi PW,

The grant accounts that we manage have an average spend of $6,000-$7,000 per month. The CTR is under 1% because of the bid limit established. It's all about being innovative and thinking outside the box with the keyword research to drive traffic.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Vineesh..

p w
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
p w
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Where does it say that we are able to use adwords express? This is the first I've heard of it.

Is there a more in-depth description of the guidelines somewhere? I've read through the info provided upon sign up. The guidelines are pretty rudimentary and leave quite a few questionable areas. It's a little frustrating when you're trying not to "break the rules" but don't really know what they are.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

p w,
Regarding AdWords Express for Grantees - When you log into your AdWords Grant account, there is a yellow message box across the top that mentions AdWords Express for Grantees. It was also announced here in the forums and is listed on the main details page: http://www.google.com/grants/details.html

As for guides - admittedly, learning AdWords along with the nuances of the Ad Grants program can be a little frustrating. However, there are several areas for guidance, such as: 

All in all, know that Google wants to see you and your nonprofit succeed with the Grant. If you cannot find what you are looking for in the support center or if you are not clear on what the instructions say, feel free to ask questions here. We are here to help.

p w
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
p w
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Is there anywhere that account managers mention their usage or reports for comparison? I'd really like to know how my ads are performing in comparison.

How about info to increase our spend. We have about 6k keywords and $3k spend. Our keywords don't have a very long shelf life. Either the bid increase to over $2 or our score drops.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Please understand that there are multiple niche categories for nonprofits. As such there are multiple niche categories for grantees. There is not a one-size-fits-all benchmark when it comes to ad grants accounts because some niches have extremely low search volume and target a very small audience.

I myself, manage a wide variety of accounts for nonprofits with monthly spend ranging from as low as $1000 per month to GrantsPro accounts spending the full $40,000 per month and everything in between. I personally do not use ad spend as a primary metric but instead look at the quality of conversions that are being generated for my clients.

Know that if your average spend is over $3000 per month you are well over the general ad spend average of all nonprofits in the ad grants program. But again, this is not the main metric you should be focusing on. Instead focus on rather you are spending that $3000 effectively or not.

p w
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
p w
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Robert,

Thanks for the response. I do understand that there won't be one answer for a benchmark, but it would be helpful if there were tiered baselines. I'd imagine National/Global nonprofits would have a very high spend and local or newer orgs would have a much smaller spend.

The $3k number helps me tremendously. We are hovering that line. Our ad quality keeps getting low scores and I know that's because of the content on the pages, which, unfortunately, at this time, I have no control over. Trying to gain some influence to increase that. There are keywords scoring low, that should score high.

We "sold" the board on the $10K ad spend and now when they see a spend of $2-3k all they think is, why aren't you spending the other $7-8K. We are educating them on the other metrics, but that's the one that people without AdWords exp understand so it's the one they gravitate towards.

It's helpful to know the average so we can assure them it/s not lack of effort, but we need better content to improve performance of the keywords.

Thanks again for your response!