1.8K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

how to increase impression share

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our Ad Grant account's exact match impression share and has dropped from 48% t0 31% since January 1 with a corresponding decrease in clicks, and we are trying to figure out what we can do to address those decline.

Our bid in every auction is always $2. The most obvious reason we are loosing impression share and clicks is that our competitors with paid accounts are bidding more than $2 and there is nothing we can do about that.

However some of our competitors have Ad Grant accounts. Assuming they too are bidding the maximum of $2 the question then is what parameters determine which of us gets ranked higher/gets more impression share. We think Quality Score might be a deciding factor in that determination. And where our Quality Score is the same as a competitor's we are wondering then if the Quality Scores of our entire account might become a factor in that. determination, and if it is, then should we pause keywords with low Quality Scores in the 1-5 range.    

1 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Lakatos,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my inquiry, the information you provided is quite helpful. Would you mind addressing one other point:

All factors being equal for the top two competitors in an auction, is there reason to believe that that auction will be won by the competitor whose combined Quality Scores of all the other non-auction keywords in their account or campaign is higher? In other words, can low quality keywords in an account or campaign "infect" the performance of other keywords in an account or campaign?

Thanks,

Steve

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Steve B

Yes, there is. And yes, they can.

The underlying reason is that mature and well established accounts may enjoy sort of preferential treatment. It's a bit similar to your bank that would also prefer old and reliable clients with an excellent credit rating & history. The extent of the impact is not very significant at the moment though. However, I expect it to grow going forward.

Best,

Lakatos

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Steve B
May 2017

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you again Lakatos. I suspected that what you answered might be happening. So three days ago I paused all our keywords with Quality Scores of 4 or less, which together were generating about 15% of our clicks. I will keep those paused for a month or so to see how that affects our account's performance. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Lakatos B

Would Account Histroy explain why my legacy campaigns gain impression share whilst my recent newly built perfectly segmented by match type campaigns are falling flat?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Yup, generally speaking it might be a main reason. I mean campaign history, of course, and not account history. Assume that's just a typo at your side.