AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

guidance on "strictly commercial advertising"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I'd like some guidance on the following question I'm having, before applying for the AdGrants program:

My NGO is based in Romania with the mission of promoting the discovery of authentic Romanian culture & nature through activities, workshops or guesthouses run by some very local people and other NGOs.  For example, trips in natural reservations, traditional pottery workshops carried out by craftsmen or agro tourism & food tasting in villages.  This all helps local communities & economies thrive through increased awareness and traffic from tourists.  Basically I'm promoting sustainable & environmental friendly activities mixed with authentic Romanian culture.  My website also has an online booking system connecting visitors with these local people, some of whom don't have an online presence.  The only thing I charge from visitors when booking is a small fee to pay transaction & administration costs, nothing for profit. 

Could someone please give me an opinion whether my NGO would qualify for the AdGrants program?  I'm also very confused about the guidelines on "strictly commercial advertising" - specifically if someone is going to tell me what key words I'm allowed to use (e.g. sustainable travel in Romania - yes) and those that I'm not (e.g. ...?). 

Thanks in advance! 

1 Expert replyverified_user

guidance on "strictly commercial advertising"

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Marius I,

I think you will have a very difficult time being approved for the program. 

For starters, you have to be a verifiable 501c non-profit organization. You cannot simply provide a great service that promotes local culture. That is where it all must begin and nothing else will matter (keywords, etc.) if you are not verifiable. And you cannot charge for services and then simply state it is a small fee to cover costs. This means you charge... and how you use the funds is your choice. 

From here, you can carefully read everything on this webpage and expand your understanding of this program. 

Kind Regards,

James