Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

ad grant catch-22

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI - I've successfully setup a number of google ad grants for clients. 

I have a catch22 situation. Client has been approved for non-profit/ad grant. I have admin access to the nonprofit account.

Adwords has been activated - but the "welcome" letter was never received.

I've followed the "get started" steps, setup a brand new gmail account, created a new adwords account and filled everything out correctly. 

Then when I hit "save and finish" I get the dreaded red billing banner. I have entered NO billing info. All is set to USD, etc.

This part is useless-:

Step 4 of 4: Submit your account for review

Because I've already been approved for grants! My application is long done and approved.

I've bashed my head on this for months going around in circles.  I just need to figure out how to connect the Non Profit account to the adwords account. That's it. Should take two minutes.

I've read the other threads on this forum. Any suggestions?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
April 2016

Re: ad grant catch-22

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Kevin S

Sorry to hear that you are running into issues and that you feel that "GOOGLE SO STUPID" about this. Perhaps I can provide some clarity on this without sounding stupid as well.

You see, Google For Nonprofits (G4NP) is the program that the nonprofit actually gets approved for. Within this program is a variety of products, one of those is Google Ad Grants. Once being approved for Google For Nonprofits, the nonprofit then needs to enroll in the various products such as Ad Grants. Part of the product enrollment process for Ad Grants includes creating an AdWords account that follows the Grants Account Creation Guide and then submitting that account for review to the Ad Grants team to ensure that it was set up in a manner that enables it to be used in Ad Grants. You submit your AdWords account for review via the product enrollment page in your G4NP portal, under Ad Grants.

Once the account is reviewed and approved for use with Ad Grants, the enter billing messaging is removed.

You mentioned in your post that you have successfully set up a number of Google Ad Grants for your clients but you did not relay what was different about this one or what error messages you have received? Let us know, myself or one of those Googlers that you have insulted can certainly help. 

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@CassieH can you help me with this? I can get you all the pertinent details.... really stuck (it's been about 2 years trying to sort this out....)
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
April 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Kevin S

Sorry to hear that you are running into issues and that you feel that "GOOGLE SO STUPID" about this. Perhaps I can provide some clarity on this without sounding stupid as well.

You see, Google For Nonprofits (G4NP) is the program that the nonprofit actually gets approved for. Within this program is a variety of products, one of those is Google Ad Grants. Once being approved for Google For Nonprofits, the nonprofit then needs to enroll in the various products such as Ad Grants. Part of the product enrollment process for Ad Grants includes creating an AdWords account that follows the Grants Account Creation Guide and then submitting that account for review to the Ad Grants team to ensure that it was set up in a manner that enables it to be used in Ad Grants. You submit your AdWords account for review via the product enrollment page in your G4NP portal, under Ad Grants.

Once the account is reviewed and approved for use with Ad Grants, the enter billing messaging is removed.

You mentioned in your post that you have successfully set up a number of Google Ad Grants for your clients but you did not relay what was different about this one or what error messages you have received? Let us know, myself or one of those Googlers that you have insulted can certainly help. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My apologies for the bad vibe. Inappropriate. I've been having a difficult time with this in part due to the baffling challenges of having to manage multiple google accounts for new adwords setups despite having an MCC account that I've used for years. To Google folks, my apologies. I'm sure you are doing your best. Thanks.

What differed in the setup of this account from others that I have successfully setup is this. We submitted the application. The org. was approved. We enrolled in the ad grant program. The "invitation letter" was not received - and here is where things went wrong (I don't know if it went to spam or trash - this was a few years ago and we had to retrieve administration privileges for the client so it is likely that at the time of enrollment that critical letter and linkage went to someone who mishandled it).

I've tried numerous times through adword support and through the setup guides to "reconnect" the approved account with a valid adword account - but I can't seem to get the client non profit account to "hook" to adwords. Because that initial email went missing with the activation link somehow I can't find a way to get the two hooked together.

I saw your post about using the adwords editor to activate the account - haven't tried that strategy - but just went through what I thought was the right steps - based on googles guide here https://support.google.com/grants/answer/1689506?hl=en&ref_topic=3500132 but I still got the red BILLING bar when I got all the way through..

Just frustrated. I imagine there's a simple fix somewhere out there but I can't find it. Thanks for any insights.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Robert - you mention "You submit your AdWords account for review via the product enrollment page in your G4NP portal, under Ad Grants."
In my case, in the G4NP portal the adwords "box" says:

Google Ad Grants
Reach and engage your supporters through free online advertising with AdWords.
Learn how to use Ad Grants with AdWords Express and AdWords at the same time.

There's no way to submit (again).... Am I missing something?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

If it shows Status: Approved, then they already have an active Ad Grant enrollment associated with their G4NP account. You cannot submit another one.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Right - but what adword account is it? The one I originally did never got approved - I still show the billing notice - and there's no recourse.... It's like you have one chance and then that's it.....

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Kevin,
I'll be glad to investigate this for you but I will need some additional information about the organization that we cannot post here in the public forum due to privacy concerns. Please fill out this form and I can escalate for you - just understand, your client has an approved account already in place. Someone (an administrator on the G4NP account) already submitted an AdWords account for enrollment. It was reviewed, approved and activated. The current options might be limited to the admin on that AdWords account granting you access. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Robert. I have submitted the form. I appreciate your help and apologize for starting off on the wrong foot.
Any idea on the turnaround - when I might hear back on that? Thanks for your help.
Thanks
Kevin

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Robert - I've received no communications from Google on this... Any suggestions about how I might proceed on this issue?

In reply to your comment: "Someone (an administrator on the G4NP account) already submitted an AdWords account for enrollment. It was reviewed, approved and activated. The current options might be limited to the admin on that AdWords account granting you access. "

I'm 99% sure I was the one who created the adwords account and monitored it through approval - the one element that failed to trigger was that I never received the approval email and as a consequence missed some final step that would have linked the accounts.

If there had been someone else involved - maybe a previous account - it was maybe 5-6 years ago and the client organization has no record of it and anyone who had done the work would have moved on....

I'm just wondering if there is some way for google to "reset" the organization's status so we can re-initialize at this point.

Thanks for your help. It's a really frustrating situation.