AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5K members online now
5K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Why does a search for my keyword not always show any ads at all?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm managing AdWords for a greyhound rescue charity. As you might imagine, 'greyhound rescue' is an important search term for them. Possibly because they recently changed the charity's name (and it no longer includes the words "greyhound" or "rescue"), they don't do that well on organic results for that search term (average say fifth out of the organic results). However, they're generally top of the page in position 1 in paid results and their QS is 10/10 for that keyword (and +greyhound +rescue and "greyhound rescue" and [greyhound rescue]).

My problem is that sometimes if I run a search for that search term, (and I presume this is the same for other people), I don't see any ads, just organic results. Other times I see ads and theirs is in position 1. The Ad Preview and Diagnosis tool always shows them with ads running for that search term and in position 1.

So what is going on? And is there a way to make Google run ads for that search more of the time?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark P
August 2016

Re: Why does a search for my keyword not always show any ads at all?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Tommy - good answer!

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Mark,

Yes, They are running AdWords campaign on their Brand Name Keywords and they have made relevant Text Ads including their Brand Name in AdWords and bidding on brand name keywords that's why they always appear when you search that keyword in Google. After some keywords and ads build history in terms of Good CTR, Ad Rank that's why they always appear.

Please let us know if you have any query on this.

Thanks,
Anand

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's not quite the issue Anand.

The ads _don't_ always appear. And it's not just our ads that don't always appear. Either several ads show as normal (with ours pretty much always at the top) or no ads show at all, only organic results. Why?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Mark,

If you are talking about Organic Result (ranking) then i will recommend to post this issue to here :-

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/webmasters

because this forum is related to AdWords related issue.

Thanks,
Anand

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
No, I'm asking why sometimes the very same search shows ads for several advertisers and organic results and sometimes it shows only only organic ads.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Marks,

I will recommend to go through the below URL which written by Jon Gritton (Top Contributor in AdWords Community) on the topic - Why Aren't My Ads Showing All the Time?

I hope this will help you.

Thanks,
Anand

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That article does a good job of explaining why a single advertiser's ads don't always show when other ads do, but that's not the problem I'm seeing.

It doesn't explain why sometimes I'm seeing ads for several advertisers and sometimes I'm only seeing organic results.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Mark,

There is no concrete answer to this. We cannot guarantee that ads will show 100% of the time for 100% of searches for 100% of users. Google is constantly testing and working to present the best experience for users, and also creates personalized/customized experiences for each user based on many searching & browsing behaviors.

Trust that if your ads are in good standing, that there are no problems discovered via ad preview & diagnosis and you have the proper budget etc...that your ads will be eligible for auctions when ads are going to be displayed along with organic results.

Impression share metrics are the best way to get an estimated understanding of how often your ads are displayed vs how often they could possibly be displayed.

Hope this helps!

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark P
August 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Tommy - good answer!

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Mark P

I will just add on to Tommy's excellent response that if you search for your own ad using Google search, you may stop seeing it since Google personalizes the search results.

From the Google help files on Why you may not see your ad :

If you repeatedly search for your own ad using Google Search but never click on it, you may stop seeing it. That's because Google's system detects the IP address of your computer, and stops showing you ads that it thinks you aren't interested in. Remember to use the Ad Preview and Diagnosis tool to view your ad as it appears in Google search results instead of performing a regular search. It prevents you from racking up impressions while you try to locate your ad.