2.1K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Where do I see ad quality?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

With the new Google Ad Grants policy on ad quality (https://support.google.com/grants/answer/7404558) Ads must be of a certain quality to be shown. But I don't see a column for Ad Quality in the Ad View in the interface. How can we monitor our Ad Quality to make sure they are of high enough quality to show, and to compare ads for quality?

Thanks!

Paul

The Biodiversity Group

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Paul H

Information quality score and how to add the data to your columns can be found in the AdWords help file: Check Your Quality Score.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Looks like that is for Keyword Quality. The new policy states Ad Quality will be used. And in the Ad view, I am not seeing a Quality option to add to the columns.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Paul H

Excellent point and I will reach out to the Ad Grants team to see about clarifying the documentation.

With that said actual ad quality combines the ad with a given keyword and is based on a combination of 3 factors (expected clickthrough rate, ad relevance, and landing page experience) - data that you are able to see by adding in the quality score columns at the keyword level.

One of the nice features recently added to these columns is being able to see historical data as well.

Re: Where do I see ad quality?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

In the past, there were two terms:

Real time QS, (now known as ad-quality, calculated every time a keyword participates in an auction) and an "average" QS (shown in the UI)

Nowadays, this has changed to QS and ad-quality (or real time ad-rank)

.."The 1-10 Quality Score shown in your account is an aggregated estimate of your overall performance in ad auctions; therefore, it can’t be used at auction time to determine Ad Rank. Real-time, auction-specific quality calculations of expected clickthrough rate, ad relevance, and landing page experience are used to calculate Ad Rank at auction time. These factors, which are based on things known only at the time of the auction, can heavily influence the quality of the user’s experience.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/156066?hl=en

I agree with Robert that the difference should be clarified further in the documentation.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Following on from Paul, I also have a question about the quality filter.

Does an individual ad itself need to be of a certain quality, or is the quality of an ad group, campaign or even the entire account need to meet a quality threshold?

It would be great if anyone has any insights on this.

Thanks.

Cameron.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

I recommend reading the (a bit long) article about the components of QS and its calculation; It should answer your concerns

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6167118

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Are you saying that the new quality filter is purely based on standard quality score metrics, or is there more to "Ad Quality" term that Google are using?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Not sure I understand what you mean by "quality filter".

Anyway, the document I linked should address all your previous questions. Highly recommended.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here's from the new policy:

"The Ad Grants quality filter is based in part on the general ad quality level of the standard ads in the country where you're showing your ads. If your ads are of relatively low quality, the quality filter will prevent your ads from participating in the auction, no matter how high you raise your bid."

This is specifically referring to Ads, not keywords. There is a QS and other metrics for quality for keywords, but not Ads.