Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Tips to improve CTR for Ad Grants 5% CTR policy

Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Ad Grants community,

This week we're sending emails and in-product notifications to urge action for those not yet in compliance with Ad Grants' 5% click through rate (CTR) policy.

We've compiled the following tips described in detail here and summarized below:

• Pause high-impression, but low CTR keywords.  
  • Add negative keywords with the search terms report to prevent your ad from showing on irrelevant search queries.
  • Ensure geo-targeting is set for each active campaign.  If you don’t set a location, you may serve ads worldwide, which will cause your CTR and quality score to suffer in areas you don’t serve.
  • Pause generic keywords. Focus on keywords that are more specific to your organization’s purpose.
  • Group your keyword list into tightly themed ad groups so you can tailor ads with similar wording to the keywords.
  • Add ads that invite people to take action on your website.
  • Ensure you are bidding on your organization’s brand terms, which should have a high CTR.

Additionally, to ensure that your account is aligned with all of Ad Grants’ policies, we advise checking the following:

• Do any of your enabled keywords have a low quality score of 1 or 2?
  • Are any of your enabled keywords non-approved single-keywords or someone else’s brand terms?
  • Do you have at least 2 ad texts per enabled ad group, at least 2 ad groups per enabled campaign, and active sitelinks?
  • Did you fill out the annual survey sent on January 1, 2018 to the login emails on your account?  Did you enter your valid Ad Grants customer ID to be identified successfully? 

We invite you to join us for a live stream and Q&A through our YouTube channel where members of the Ad Grants team will discuss Improving your CTR.  Register here.  This live stream is in English but we intend to add languages soon.

If your account is deactivated, we'll gladly reinstate once modifications are made.  Adjust with the above suggestions until you reach 5% CTR for the last week your account was active.  To check if adjustments reach 5%, go to your Keywords tab and scroll to the bottom of the keywords.  If you're using the new AdWords experience, see the Total: filtered keywords row or if you're using the previous AdWords experience, see the Total - all enabled keywords row.  When the changes you've made show 5% in these rows, contact us for review. Or you may choose to migrate your account to AdWords Express, which offers automatic management not subject to the 5% CTR policy.

Hope this helps,

Michelle on behalf of Ad Grants

In addition to engaging with us through our online community forum, this short video offers a policy overview. Members of the Ad Grants team offer educational live streams (past videos), hands-on local workshops, office hours, and personalized account tips. To receive inv...Customized Performance & Suggestions and Special Offers emails. We've also opened up new communities in French, German, Portuguese and Spanish. If you’d like volunteer help with your account, read about our recently launched Online Challenge Program through partner universities.
3 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A Google representative just told us on the phone to delete all the keywords that are under 5% in the last two consecutive months. 

From what I understand we are already in compliance with the policy as our CTR is 6.20% during the last week our account was active.

This is the column Total: Filtered keywords.

Please clarify because this is very confusing.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Michelle:

Thanks for this. Question, 1 criteria of the grant is that ad groups must have minimum two keywords per group. 

Is thisrequirement if there is one root keyword with three corresponding match types? 

So:

3D prototyping
+3D+prototyping
"3D prototyping"
[3D prototyping]

Will that be a qualifying ad group?

Thanks, Michelle!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Must you delete them? Why not pause them. 

I feel some representatives are not so cognizant of all the criteria specific to the grant. You might pause them, look through your search query report and then add in some negatives gradually checking what keywords were matched with an irrelevant query. In so doing, you will strengthen your ad group and campaign. 

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager

Hi Barbara, 

There's no keyword requirement in Ad Grants (where did you see this?  We might need to update an old article, perhaps?).  So an ad group with such tightly themed words works fine!

Best,

Michelle

In addition to engaging with us through our online community forum, this short video offers a policy overview. Members of the Ad Grants team offer educational live streams (past videos), hands-on local workshops, office hours, and personalized account tips. To receive inv...Customized Performance & Suggestions and Special Offers emails. We've also opened up new communities in French, German, Portuguese and Spanish. If you’d like volunteer help with your account, read about our recently launched Online Challenge Program through partner universities.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Oh, thank you so much!

Ahh, you know what? I am confusing "minimum two ad groups," per campaign.

My mistake, Michelle. But, this is still good clarification for me in any event.

Thank you!

Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

So I learned about these changes over the weekend, I unfortunately found out because our account was suspended with no prior warning. This couldn't have happened at a worse time for us, International Women in Science day was Feb 11, and one of our primary missions is more recognition to women and minorities in science and our ad related to this push wasn't even live for the event.  

I just got an email -today- specifying the need for 5% CTR, which is after talking to a representative yesterday who had me remove all quality 1-2 keywords, single word keywords and any performing poorly to get our CTR up to over 5%. 

I did all of that yesterday and requested reinstatement which I'm waiting for now.

Why was this change not communicated via any method but these forums? I monitor emails from google for a variety of services we use for specifically these reasons and no a single email was sent detailing the change. I also log in at least one a month to check on our ads and there was no warning in Adwords itself. (Clarification: We did get the survey email, which didn't include anything about the changes and it left me to believe we had until March 1 to complete it.)

I do have some concern regarding the changes and how they're going to impact us moving forward. We're a science based organization, a lot of keywords we use are specific to the scientific fields that are in our niche, and many of those are single word keywords. These were the few keywords we had that had broad reach, most of our other keywords, that are more verbose, have low search threshold. 

I was also told by the google rep that we can't use broad phrases either, like "Women in science" or "Women in Stem" I was informed it has to be incredibly specific, so "Women in physical science" or "Women in communications engineering". The problem is the extremely verbose phrases have really low search volume. 

So I am confused about how we're suppose to get our message/mission across when I can't use keywords that reach a broader audience. This has been a learning experience for us, we've only had the grant since October, so this feels like a nearly insurmountable obstacle when combined with the requirement for 5% CTR (I thought we were doing pretty good with high 3/4). 

For us CTR isn't quite as important as visibility and getting a message out. An example of that is a plan for later this year where our Women in Science campaign would actually be tributes to individual women. Sure I'd love people to actually click and read the full bio/tribute, but even just getting those women highlighted/recognized would be a major boon.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Claudio D

The 5% requirement is account level - not at the keyword level. As such, you will certainly have some keywords that fall below 5% and some that are above. This is fine.

With that said, you will certainly want to work to improve the CTR of the keywords that are below 5%, but you do not have to delete them, UNLESS your account level CTR is below 5%. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Why don't you guys just be honest and tell us you're switching all nonprofits over to Adwords Express, since that's clearly the intent of these highly unrealistic new requirements - few businesses are getting averages of 5% CTR, let alone time-strapped nonprofits.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Mary - your post is excellent. It's also an example of how thoughtless the new Google policies are. As is true of many tech orgs, they are incapable of seeing how broad policies will never work in certain specific situations, and that exceptions will be inevitable. Yours is a terrific example.

What they really want is obvious: To end Adgrants as we've known it. They just don't have the courage to come out and say so. And they're giving all this away for free, so they have every right to end it. I just wish they'd be honest about their true intentions, which are frustratingly obvious.