Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Talk to another NPO professional about Adwords Grant Account

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello! The nonprofit I work for (NYC education nonprofit) uses the Google AdWords Grant and I'm looking to talk with other nonprofit professionals about their experience (successes and challenges) with the grant. Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Talk to another NPO professional about Adwords Grant Account

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Liz,

You can post here some of the topics that you'd like to discuss for other members to see and reply to you. Give us more information and I'm sure other members will be glad to help Smiley Very Happy

_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
No problem! We are a medium-sized education nonprofit in NYC and have a Google Grant account. We hope to use AdWords to help recruit volunteers to our school programs, raise brand awareness and possibly get donations. I've found that keywords relating to our mission are either not widely searched or cost more than the $2.00 bid limit by Google Grants. We recently overhauled our account to reflect more specific ad groups, keywords and ads and only chose about 30 keywords per ad group, which was recommended to us by a consultant (prior to this overhaul, our account used to have 300+ keywords placed in broad ad groups, many of which were not directly relative to the work we do). We first had a mix of keyword matches featured in our ad groups, but saw that our impressions went significantly down, so I changed the keywords back to "broad" match and our impressions, CTR and cost went significantly up. Although our CTR rate went up, our bounce rate is significantly high and people aren't staying on our site after clicking on an AdWords ad. I've put a lot of time into this project and do check into the account regularly to look at search terms and what's performing the best, and wonder if other nonprofits who use the Google Grant have similar issues.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Liz,
Thanks for going into detail with this. A few things to note:

Although the Google Ad Grant has a $2 click rule, we’ve been able to show up for keywords that have a suggested first page bid of $5, so it’s worth keeping those keywords. This is because Google rewards accounts that have a history of high CTRs & conversions with cheaper CPC’s. This is part of Google’s quality score algorithm. The reason for this is that Google rewards accounts that have proven relevancy to users.

There are a couple of possible reasons that your impressions went down when you changed the match types. One possible reason is that when you changed the keyword match type you stopped the momentum behind a particular keyword. Keywords that have a performance history reset when you change the keyword or match type of that keyword. It’s the same concept when you change your ads. If you change any part of your ad it resets the historic performance and stops the “momentum” that you had.

The other possible reason is that since you changed match types your limiting the amount of search queries that your ad can show for. That’s why it’s really important that you conduct thorough keyword research to make sure that you find all the ways that people search for terms (wide keyword research).

When you changed the match types to broad you have less control of what triggers your ad, so it’s likely that your ads were shown to people who are not your target demographic thus resulting in a high bounce rate.

I've worked with a lot of nonprofits that have had the exact same issue that you're experiencing.

I’m happy to further explain any of this to you and answer any other questions you have.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Matt for this helpful information! It is refreshing to hear that sometimes ads can show even if the keyword bid is higher than $2.00!

What would you suggest to conduct thorough keyword research? I have tried the keyword planner and have used keywords that are useful, but some of the keywords that the planner suggests don't fit with the ad or landing page's content. When our ad groups were set up with a mix of match types, I was using keywords that make sense for the ad group, but either aren't searched a lot or a high cost. I understand the broad match type gives us less control of what triggers an ad, but I felt this was the only way to actually get clicks. I've also researched that AdWords ads have a high bounce rate on the landing page that negatively affects the overall account quality score...seems like a catch-22. We ideally want to spend as much money as we can because the grant is free money, but I always wonder if just trying to spend the grant is even efficient since our bounce rate is high.

In your experience, is it more efficient to have narrowly target a nonprofit's demographic audience and see fewer impressions and clicks, or continue to keep our keywords broad that may not be shown all the time to the nonprofit's target demographic? You mention that the keywords and ads may perform better if they are active longer -- have you ever seen this happen with a nonprofit using targeted ads that started off with little traction but gained clicks and impressions in time?

Thank you for time and insight—I greatly appreciate it!

Talk to another NPO professional about Adwords Grant Account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Liz, I'm glad that I can help!

The keyword planner is a great tool to use for this. Many of the suggestions that Google list are irrelevant. Use the negative keyword tool in the planner to filter out keywords that are not relevant.

You should always have your keywords targeted towards your target demographic. I recommend you start with a broad match type to see what gains traction and then target your converting keywords with more specific match types such as exact match.

Yes, we’ve managed many nonprofits accounts that start off with little traction but gained clicks and impressions in time. This has been a common occurrence with nonprofits who serve locally targeted communities.

Let me know if you have any other questions!