2K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Suggestion for policy change

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

More than a year ago Google Grants changed their policy by giving priority to paid customers over grant recipients in terms of ranking ads. We are extremely grateful for the generous grant we received, but this new policy has had a devastating impact on our ability to raise funds, as most of the keywords that can generate income are highly competitive. Frankly speaking I think that through this move and the cancellation of the Grantspro program (we were given no advance notice of cancellation which I think is deplorable) Google has given philanthropic initiatives a lower priority, which is the opposite of what it should be doing given its increase in profits. So this is essentially a petition to raise, and not decrease, the priority Google gives to philanthropic causes, and especially the Google Grants program, as it continues to raise its profits around the globe. I would much appreciate input from my fellow contributors to this forum, as well as the Google Grants Team, on this issue.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Suggestion for policy change

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your post. I appreciate your thoughts and we will continue to strive for excellence with our Ad Grants community. I will definitely past your message along.

Look forward to seeing you around the community. 

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your input.

As someone who has worked closely with the Ad Grants team and has managed Google Grant campaigns for multiple nonprofit clients for several years, I can assure you that the changes that Google made to the Ad Grants program were not made lightly. Admittedly, the policy changes have had a negative impact on some grantees in certain segments which, although regreatable, is typical anytime there is change. However, for most grantees the changes were overwhelmingly positive and the amount of the grant that grantees are utilizing has gone up as a whole. 

With regards to GrantsPro, they simply stopped accepting new applications, they didn't cancel it. Those nonprofits that had qualified for GrantsPro are still in the program. 

The Ad Grants team continues to work to find ways to improve the program and recently launched Ad Grants into several new countries and has also launched a new AdWords Express option for Grantees.

Suffice to say, Google does make philanthropic causes a priority and in particular the Ad Grants program which has been a cornerstone of their philanthropic efforts for many years.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Shanea for kicking this message up the ladder. Google has done a great service for nonprofits over the years through the Google Grants program. Lets hope that Google continues to raise the bar for philanthropic giving in a world obsessed by the bottom line..what happened to the top line? I think we know what that top line is.