AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing audience disapproved

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

I'm just wondering if anyone else has managed to get around this problem...

I manage a Google Grants account for a charity - one close to my heart with whom I have worked for many years with different hats on.

The charity is for EB  - a very rare disease. This is the website: http://www.pieldemariposa.es/index.html?locale=es

As you would expect, the website informs about the disease, but the principal objective is to raise funds for research.

Now - I have other sites where the remarketing lists have been disapproved - one such is for a prostate cancer clinic in Canada.

I understand that... someone comes to the site because they have prostate cancer and we would be taking advantage of the fact that we "know" they have prostate cancer... so that gives us sensitive information... it makes sense.

But in this case - for a start, the disease is so rare that the market would be tiny, tiny. But more to the point is that as a fund raising site we have to tell visitors something about what we are raising funds for.... we cannot simply say, "Give us a donation please" - "What for?" "Errm... Can't tell you, sorry"

My local Google office have looked into this and have come back to say that the site breaches remarketing policy and that we cannot generate an audience.

I'm guessing that most non-profits that use grants fall into the category of helping people less fortunate.... thus, almost by definition, pretty much every non-profit would be excluded from using remarketing since being "less fortunate" is sensitive.

But here's the thing - we don't look for donations from the "less fortunate". In our case we are not looking for donations from the very children that suffer from EB. 

The more I mull this over the less sense it makes to me.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Many thanks

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Remarketing audience disapproved

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Steve ( @stickleback)

I don't remember if I brought this topic  here, during the summit, or in another forum:  Anyway, since the system cannot differentiate  between users who are interested in a cure (i.e. Patients) or the general public showing  "scientific" interest or conducting some research about the illness, Google  errs on the side of caution,  and considers all users to be "patients" (i.e.  that the illness has an affect on them).

Google had it once with the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (officially known as: "Le commissaire à la protection de la vie privée du Canada"). In this case  Google, wisely, responded quickly,   on a global scale, (disabling remarketing lists),  before other regulators would also step in and start to inquire... I doubt that Google has any "desire" to find itself in another investigation of that kind. Hence the measures of precaution.  Smiley Surprised

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi @MosheTLV - I recall the Canada decision and the fall out - it was when my Canadian Prostate Cancer clinic had their list disapproved - and I do understand that - although I still feel that this type of advertiser is in a strange situation. Essentially, any charity - so most Google Grants recipients - would not be able to use remarketing given that charities are generally set up to help people in need. Being in need, by Google's broad definition, would constitute sensitive information.

It's a kind of Catch 22 situation which I am struggling to get my head around.

Thanks for your input - much appreciated.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Steve,

Keep in mind as well that remarketing campaigns are not to be used with Ad Grant accounts since only 'text ads via Google search' are allowed.

EDIT: However, a grantee can set up a regular AdWords account to run remarketing and display ads.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi @RobertCoats - yes it was this latter use that we had in mind. It would be a way of leveraging the traffic we generate through the grants budget...