AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Question on keywords for Ad Grants

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone!

I am a co-founder of my own digital marketing agency based in Mexico City. I am a volunteer on a non-profit and I helped them some time back on obtaining their Ad Grants account and we have had so much success with this. We are very happy.

My question is regarding the keywords that the Ad Grants account can have. I remember that in 2015 there was a requirement that you could not include certain keywords like "buy" or stuff like that, unless you are promoting selling stuff in benefit of the non-profit, like "buy and fight cancer" or stuff like that. Right now I was checking and I cannot find such requirements and makes me wonder if this requirement is no longer and there is no restrictions on keywords or simply I cannot find it.

A little bit of background, just in case. The non-profit is basically for stray and mutt dogs and we promote adoption over buying them and also rescue and free veterinary services. The campaign that I have set up is for people looking to adopt, but also for people that is looking to buy a dog, I am triggering an ad trying to convience people. So far, this has worked very very good. The thing is that I am avoiding the words "buy", and given the trends of searches, it is very tough meeting the objective of convincing people not to buy and adopt a dog or cat without bidding on "buy" keyword. 

Thanks so much for your help.

Best regards,

David Chávez.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author DavidChavez
April 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@David C

As I mentioned above, I have run similar ads/keywords/campaigns without issues. 

As long as the intent is to facilitate the acquisition of a dog it should not be a problem - if however, the keywords and ads lead to a page that encourages the user to buy an ebook about dogs from a third party, that would be an issue.

With that said, what is and what isn't "mission-based" is certainly at the discretion of the reviewer but in every instance that I know of, they are fair with their reviews.

View solution in original post

Re: Question on keywords for Ad Grants

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@DavidChavez

From the Mission Based Ads policy:

The ads and keywords in your AdWords account must reflect the mission of your nonprofit organization and be relevant to your nonprofit's programs and services.

Strictly commercial advertising is not allowed. If you intend to promote products or services, the sales and/or proceeds must directly support the nonprofit.

See the program details in your country for examples on what ads and keywords are acceptable.

Google Ad Grants recipients found in violation of this policy are subject to removal from the program. Google reserves the right to grant or deny an organization's application or participation at any time, for any reason, and to supplement or amend these eligibility guidelines at any time.

All in all, what you are wanting to do should not be a problem, as long as, your keywords and ads are mission-based, which sounds like they will be. I have run similar ads with similar clients without issue or concern.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks @RobertCoats.

So, just to be clear, my objective on this additional campaign is to target people that want to buy and convience them to adopt. So, strictly speaking, the keyword would be "buy dog", but I will show an ad that will try to convience people not to buy but to adopt. So this is the thing, the ad copy and the landing page are mission-based, but strictly speaking the keyword is not.

That is my concern, that the keyword itself might not be considered to be mission-based, but the ad and landing page definetively is, so this is my main concern.

What do you think?

Best regards,

David Chávez.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author DavidChavez
April 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@David C

As I mentioned above, I have run similar ads/keywords/campaigns without issues. 

As long as the intent is to facilitate the acquisition of a dog it should not be a problem - if however, the keywords and ads lead to a page that encourages the user to buy an ebook about dogs from a third party, that would be an issue.

With that said, what is and what isn't "mission-based" is certainly at the discretion of the reviewer but in every instance that I know of, they are fair with their reviews.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your help RobertCoats. I just wanted to make sure that mission-centered is the overall keywords, ads, landing page and not only keywords.

Much appreaciated!

Best regards,

David.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Robert, 

I've a similar issue hoping to hear your clarification on. We had our account recently un-suspended. Started off with removing a couple of ads then proceeded to remove all ads after the suspension did not change with the fist attempt to remove ads that were clearly labeled "disapproved." 

Still not sure exactly which violations occurred but assuming it had to do with for a different domain nused  used different urls for the same ad group. 

However, we also received an email listing possible issues including this "running non-mission based ads and keywords." 

My question is: it is my understanding that we may have not correctly utilize keywords for our ads?? Our mission and services are unique in that our program and services directly supports the local economy through supporting local businesses. A key factor is through helping promote their goods and services. For example, we created several ads to help promote holiday shopping and used keywords like "local shopping" "black friday shopping" "unique jewelry" etc., In addition, one of our major fundraising events is an event that sells beer and specific type of foods. One of our ads were focused on that with keywords such as "craft beer" "local beer" "oktoberfest" "beer festivals" etc. Those keywords are commercialized, but they are part of our programs. With the exception of the holiday ad which led visitors to a new webpage we created (under a host domain) our ads led to our website where we encouraged people to buy tickets for this event. The holiday ads led to a webpage supporting our local businesses with additional links leading to their website. I understand the issue with this domain and we've since fixed that and instead created a link from our website (same one used for the application). 

If I'm understanding the policy correctly, Google considers this as "running non-mission based ads and keywords?" and thereby in violation? So we cannot used keywords and run ads like these even though it's a key factor of our organization?

Could you please help clarify this policy? How then do we effectively market our programs and services via ads?

Thanks