AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Question about the way the Algorithm works for Adgrantees versus Regular Accounts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I've got a small question regarding Google's algorithm for Ad grantees.

Basically, I was wondering whether Ad Grant Ads were being considered exactly the same as normal Ads, except that it's harder to get impressions due to the $2 cap, OR whether Ad Grant Ads were generally being shown Only when regular advertisers wouldn't bid on certain keywords.

This answer will help us figuring out the best optimization strategy for our account. Thank you very much everyone ! Have a great day !

@RobertCoats any idea?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Question about the way the Algorithm works for Adgrantees versus Regular Accounts

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Raphael,

Great question.

To the best of my knowledge (and I've managed multiple Google Grants accounts), Google calculates Ad Rank in the same way for both Google Grant and regular keywords.

The $2 cap is what usually limits impressions.

I hope that helps!

John

Re: Question about the way the Algorithm works for Adgrantees versus Regular Accounts

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Raphael S

There is a lot that goes into the algorithm and that algorithm is always changing. So while I can not share all aspects, I will share what was previously made public by Google.

Back on January 25th, 2013 Google increased the max CPC to $2 and also made a change to how grantee ads appear in the search results. With those changes, they made the following statement: 

First, as of January 28, 2013, Google Grantees may bid up to $2.00 USD on keywords. This is an increase from the previous CPC bid cap of $1.00 USD and may allow your ads to enter auctions previously unavailable at the $1.00 bid cap. Second, to balance the interests of businesses who pay to advertise on Google search, your ads will now appear below the ads of traditional AdWords advertisers.

My recommendation is to always follow Google AdWords Best Practices and optimize the account as efficiently as possible. Quality score is crucial with all AdWords accounts, but especially with Ad Grant accounts due to the Max CPC limit. 

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Robert,

Thanks for jumping in.

The quote you provided prompted me to ask our dedicated Google rep about this, and he confirmed that Google does rank the ads of paying advertisers differently than the ads of Google Grants advertisers.

Best,

John

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks John, thanks Robert!

@Robert Let me just rephrase this to make sure I got it right.
Whatever the Quality Score of our ads, those will always appear after any Ads that that are being paid by regular Adwords account?
Why then would Google increase the bids to $2, if we'd get bellow paying Ads anyway?
Would Quality Score then only matter when we compete against other Adgrantees?

Thanks for your enlightenment Robert! Have a great week-end,

R.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Années S

As mentioned above, there is a lot that goes into the algorithm and that algorithm is always changing. As such, what was true back on January 25th, 2013 is not necessarily true today. This is the case for all AdWords account types but Ad Grant accounts certainly have a few more caveats.

Yes, Quality Score matters when competing against other Grantees and in certain scenarios it also matters when competing against paid advertisers. My recommendation is to always work on increasing your QS - regardless if it is a paid account or a grants account.