5.6K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Quality Score Frustration

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My Nonprofit - arcsa.org - is a 501(c)3 Charity.

We promote sustainable rainwater harvesting.

I do not understand how this keyword (broad match) - "Water Charity" - gets a 1/10 Quality Score. The Ad is about as relevant as it can get, and the landing page is the "Donate" page for our website.

Screen Shot 2015-08-15 at 4.23.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-15 at 4.26.33 PM.png

Re: Quality Score Frustration

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

I understand your frustration, but it seems that you are not familiar with text ads best practices, as the ad showing above is missing a lot of important elements for a successful Ads, for an example you are not using the word "Water charity" anywhere in the ad, there is no clear call to action, etc...

I recommend that you go through this link to understand how can you make your ad copies more attractive, increase your relevancy which will get you a higher CTR, and that is enough to double your quality scores.

Tips for creating successful text ads : https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704392?hl=en

I didn't check the landing page but most probably it also needs enhancing, for so go through the below link :

Understanding landing page experience:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404197?hl=en

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Muhannad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Muhannad

Are you saying that the link in the ad - arcsa.org/donations, coupled with the word nonprofit and rainwater are not closely enough related to "water charity" and that is the reason for the low Quality Score for that Keyword?

I will make full use of the links you provided. Thank you again. I have a lot to learn.

John

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have studied the concept of "Quality Score" and remain puzzled by the reality of it in my account. How can top performing Keywords, with above average Click Through Rates be scored as 1/10?

Quality Score - 1/10

Clicks - 18

Impressions - 986

Click Through Rate - 1.83%

Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 6.10.46 PM.png

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
Hi there!
The quality score can also be impacted by the quality of the landing page. Here are a couple of tools that google provides for testing the overall speed and mobile friendliness of your website:
http://goo.gl/F0EL3K
http://goo.gl/tr9Wmo

Quality score is not completely based on past performance of the keyword although that is one factor.

Ensure that the keyword is used prominently in your ad text. It looks like you have lots of empty space in line 2 of your ad text. Be sure to use all of your space, so you can creatively get as many keywords in there as possible! For example, if you want to optimize your ad for the phrase "water charity", try using the phrase "water charity" in your ad title AND also in the ad description. If you still have extra space, try adding a call to action at the end like "Donate Today" "Learn More" or "Free Impact Study" etc.

And of course be sure those same keywords are prominent on your landing page in a way that the Googlebot will be able to understand.

You could also copy your ad and create a variation where you swap out the word "nonprofit" for synonyms like "charity" etc. And the same thing with rainwater > water. You can have multiple variations of similar ads in your ad group and the Adwords platform will test the ads over time for you and start showing the best performers more often!

Hope that helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
There are some very helpful recommendations. Thank you. The links to evaluate landing pages are not practical for our nonprofit. We use a third party for our membership/website hosting, and while I'm sure the recommendations would be fruitful, they are beyond our capability. Still, there are some good recommendations. Thank you.