AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Philanthropic Arm of Education Institution

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Could someone please explain "Philanthropic Arm of Education Institution" a bit further. I can't seem to find info on what it actually entails.

We're based in South Africa and create free online educational content. We're associated with a local University and currently have no charity or NGO status.

Does "Philanthropic Arm of Education Institution" mean that the University has to recognise our group as a philanthropic arm? And have that registered it in some way? And what's the process?

And do we still need to be registered as a Non-Profit Group separately? And go through that process - which is quite complex in RSA.

Thanks very much.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Philanthropic Arm of Education Institution

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Bon H

I have recently had a conversation with the Ad Grants team about this very thing and how it applies to eligibility within the Google For Nonprofits program. Although being associated with and being a philanthropic arm of an educational institution are similar in several ways, the two do have distinct differences - notably, and as it applies to eligibility, a philanthropic arm will be its own charity organization (with its own charity ID) that is separate of the educational institution but still supports the educational institution. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I see! Thanks very much.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a question regarding the following:

• Organisation must have Public Benefit Organisation (PBO) status issued by SARS
  • Organisation must be Non-Profit Organisation (NPOs) registered with the Directorate of non-profit Organisations
  • Or be non-profit Companies (NPCs) registered with the Companies and intellectual Property Commission whose governing documents indicate that they are operating on a non-profit basis purely for public benefit

So does the organisation have to meet all three these requirements or do they only need to meet one of them?

Thanks

Yolande'

Re: Philanthropic Arm of Education Institution

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Yolande O

The organization must meet the first two requirements or the 3rd one. 

• Organisation must have Public Benefit Organisation (PBO) status issued by SARS
  • Organisation must be Non-Profit Organisation (NPOs) registered with the Directorate of non-profit Organisations
  • Or be non-profit Companies (NPCs) registered with the Companies and intellectual Property Commission whose governing documents indicate that they are operating on a non-profit basis purely for public benefit