Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Optimal Goals before Applying for Grantspro

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What is a good 'cost-per-click' amount for a Google Grants Account?

What Click-Through-Rate usually receives Grantspro?

What are some good goals to shoot for before I apply for Grantspro in general. Let me know all tips are appreciated.

Shout out to @KathleenG and @RobertCoats since you guys seem to be the experts here.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Optimal Goals before Applying for Grantspro

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Eric,

Welcome to the community.

The eligibility guidelines for GrantsPro can be found here but in summary, they are:

• Have conversion tracking installed and be successfully tracking at least one conversion. The conversion cannot simply be a page view of your homepage, but be tracking a substantial action such as a newsletter or volunteer sign-up.
  • Have hit your monthly budget cap (at least $9900) for at least two different months over the last six months (they don't need to be consecutive months).
  • Have maintained an average account level clickthrough-rate (CTR) of 1% or higher over the past 6 month period.
  • Submit the online application detailing how you will use the increased advertising grant money.
  • Be in good standing with the Google Ad Grants program and abide by our program policies and guidelines.
  • Have an authorized representative of the organization who manages the account at minimum on a bi-weekly basis.
  • Complete an annual survey and agree to share impact or conversion data.

Please note that meeting the minimum eligibility requirements does not guarantee acceptance into the Grantspro program. We evaluate and weigh several criteria during the selection process, such as impact of the organization overall, impact of the additional programs or services the organization plans to promote with the additional grant money, and whether the plans are rooted in research and data that demonstrate how the organization plans to make the world a better place.

I also encourage you to read a Grantspro post from the other day by a poster who had a similar question and was asking for tips for applying to Grantspro.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What about cost-per-click and clicks per day?

Should this even be a concern with google grants? What is a typical cost-per-click for someone to be accepted to grants pro? And clicks per day? 

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Well, regarding the typical cost per click and the number of clicks per day, as the old adage in our industry goes, it depends...

The CPC is capped at $2, both for regular Grant accounts and GrantPro accounts but as is true in ALL AdWords accounts the avg CPC is typically lower than the max bid. It is not uncommon to see avg cpc for a Grant account between $1-$1.50. Some will certainly be higher and some will certainly be lower. It all depends on the keywords and the competitors targeting those keywords.

As for the avg clicks per day that will depend as well. If you are currently maxing out your $10k/month spend with your Grant account and are looking to estimate the traffic that could be possible if you move up to a GrantsPro account, just take the clicks you have know and and multiply by 4 to give a rough estimate. Again, there is a lot that will go into it and the keywords you are targeting might not even have enough search volume to max a $40k/month budget but your average CPC and your CT will remain pretty close to what they are now in your Grant account - barring any expansions and optimizations, of course.

With all that said, if you are wanting to know if Google is looking for a set avg CPC or a set number of clicks to determine eligibility, then the answer is no. Those metrics are not a concern at all. Google wants to make sure you are effectively managing the account and using the Grant to do the most good. The average CPC and the number of clicks that you are able to generate doing that are not really a concern. The other metrics (listed above) are however.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Robert (@RobertCoats),

What percentage of qualified applicants are typically accepted for Grantspro? Do you happen to have an example of a successful application? What are typical pitfalls people make when applying?

Hope to hear back soon. You have been extremely helpful thus far @RobertCoats 

Best,

Eric 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Eric,
I am not at liberty to share the percentage of successful applications or share an example of a successful application. If you meet the eligibility requirements listed above, you are certainly encouraged to apply.

As for the pitfalls, I mentioned those yesterday, in the post I had referenced above. However, after posting, I gave it a bit more thought and ended up adding an additional tip on my personal blog.

That tip being: Be able to answer the question, “how has Google Ad Grants impacted your organization so far?"

If an organization isn't able to answer that question with more of an answer than "the grant provided more traffic to the website" then they are not ready to move forward with GrantsPro.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Eric...I applied twice....once was after February, and while the ad-spend was maxed out daily, February is a short month, so the $9900 was not reached. The end of March, I applied, and I suspect the "impact" statement is where we blew it. Robert Coats and Kathleen have been super helpful. I am going to try again soon. Good luck to you Eric!!!