AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Non-Profit Updating Its Address At The IRS Master Business File (MBF)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there

The nonprofit I am working with was originally declined when they applied. They had not claimed and updated their profile with Guidestar. (Yes, they meet all the other qualifications.) I've had them
claim and update the Guidestar profile as appropriate. One other item we checked was the
IRS Master Business File (MBF). It listed the previous city which was associated with the
Non-profit.

Asking Guidestar about this, they recommended contacting the IRS and asking them to
update the address so that it reflects the current address. The Non-profit did this
today, but the IRS indicated that the MBF file is only updated on the first Monday of
each month and there might be a 1 to 2 month delay before the updated address is listed
in the MBF.

With this situation in mind, should the non-profit reapply now OR does it need to wait
until the MBF is updated with the correct address. Note, the non-profit does have its 990
form reflecting the current address and was told by the IRS they should be receiving a letter reflecting the updated MBF address in two weeks.

I'm not sure whether the MBF plays a role in the approval process or not. Within the forum I've found references indicating that it is Guidestar which is used to verify the non-profits status and no references to the MBF.

Thanks

Tim

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Non-Profit Updating Its Address At The IRS Master Business File (MBF)

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Tim,
Do you still need help with this query?

Re: Non-Profit Updating Its Address At The IRS Master Business File (MBF)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Kathleen - Yes, I've been waiting to see what the appropriate action is in this case. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Tim