AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Newly certified - Can I offer 3rd party services to non-profits?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to offer consulting and ad management services for ad grants to non-profits, but not sure what the requirements are. This ad grants help topic states that grant recipients are allowed to work with SEM/SEO agencies and provides a link to a Marketplace for finding vetted partners: https://support.google.com/grants/answer/117684?hl=en&ref_topic=3500093. But the link only goes to the main Google for Non-Profits page, not any marketplace.

Is there a vetting requirement for adwords professionals to offer services to non-profits, or can I go ahead and start approaching these organizations? Are there compliance rules for setting up agreements with 3rd party agencies?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Meliset A
April 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Technically, you can offer the service. Though because grants have limited resources they usually have an in house  employee who manages the account. But if the entity has enough resources it could outsource the service. No restrictions.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Meliset A
April 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Technically, you can offer the service. Though because grants have limited resources they usually have an in house  employee who manages the account. But if the entity has enough resources it could outsource the service. No restrictions.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

I like this idea! What do you think about this @MosheTLV. I would love to have some kind of not for profit/grants program that certified partners could opt into if they wanted to provide their services for free to these organizations. Much like how lawyers are expected to donate some portion of their time to keep their BAR certification. 

Tom

Re: Newly certified - Can I offer 3rd party services to non-profits?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@tomhalejr - To touch on your two points:

1) Google used to have a program called Google For Nonprofit Featured Providers which were vetted Partners that specialized in nonprofits. That program has now been shuttered and is not expected to reopen.

2) Google's intent with Google Ad Grants is help nonprofits to increase their impact. It is not intended to be a training tool for individuals to learn AdWords. For learning AdWords, Google has a very extensive training program and even certification through the Google Partners program.

With well intentions to help nonprofits, many think that since Google is providing a $10,000/month ad budget that it is 'free money' and that because of that it doesn't matter if it is wasted through mistakes of mismanagement while someone learns AdWords. 

As someone who has audited a large number of Ad Grants accounts, I can tell you that it DOES matter and it SHOULD matter to the nonprofit. Mismanagement equals missed opportunities for the nonprofit and that could mean the difference of a nonprofit meeting its mission or not. As the saying goes, "mission is critical" and this is especially true of nonprofits. After all, many nonprofits are life changing and many are even lifesaving - as such, it is not a stretch to say that a mismanaged Ad Grant account could mean lives lost.

When it comes to Ad Grants, it has unique challenges and restrictions that go beyond the normal challenges of a regular AdWords account. In addition to these platform challenges, nonprofits also typically serve in niches that present their own unique marketing challenges. Nonprofit marketing is a skill in and of itself. So yes, a third-party agency can certainly work with nonprofits to manage their Ad Grant accounts but if they truly want to help those nonprofits then they should first be experts at AdWords at a very minimum. With the majority of accounts I have audited, sadly that is not the case.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@MosheTLV and @tomhalejr, your exchange has nothing to do with my question. I wasn't asking about how to train in Adwords at the expense of a non-profit. However, @MosheTLV answered my question, so thanks for that.

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Well, like @MosheTLV said, you can technically try to market your services to that sector, but due to the nature of the organizations involved in the ad grants program, that might not be the best use of your time if you are trying to build a business.

Tom