Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

New Google Ad Grant Account Experiencing Poor Performance

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There is a little bit of a back story to this question:

First off, I am an AdWords technician for a marketing company and recently started assisting a non-profit with their Ad Grant (I'm a first time Grant account user). At the end of June, I set-up campaigns for this client in the account they provided for me. I followed all of the grant guidelines sent to me by this client but neither of us had seen anything regarding the part where it couldn't be ran it an account that had billing information added. So, I started the account and it performed beautifully! Around 100 clicks-per-day. Then out of curiosity, I clicked on billing to see how it would show up for a grant and discovered their previously entered card (from over a year ago) was being charged. The client called AdWords and found out the campaigns were suppose to be set-up in a different designated account. So, I used AdWords Editor and transferred the entire build to the new account number.

Here is where the issue lies. The same exact build that is now running in the properly dedicated AdWords grant account is receiving an average of only 0-1 clicks-per-day, low impressions, low ad rank, and low quality score (old account had a great quality score). Keep in mind, there were only a few days between the change over. There were no changes to the website. I have even tried added the search term results to the new campaign that received clicks in the old campaign. I can understand seeing some change but this is extraordinarily drastic!

I have contacted AdWords support three times regarding the discrepancy. Each time they tell me that they will help me optimize my ad's, keywords, ad extensions, and settings and each time after inspecting the account they come back saying that everything looks extremely well built with no suggestions. The only suggestion was that it's a new account (open since around March) and that maybe it needs time to build historical data. AdWords help has admitted that the discrepancy between the two accounts is very unusual and at the main customer service level, they can't see any issues. I was told to call back after a few weeks if there is no improvement and they'd submit a ticket to have a technician look at it and/or submit a ticket to the Ad Grant department. We are now over a month into running the new account and nothing has improved. I called again and was given the same spiel about probably needing to optimize the account but no issues once again were found. I was then told there is nothing that can be done, there are no technicians above them, there is not an ad grant department, and that they can't explain what caused this or help me.

So, I'm at a loss. I want to spend my clients grant of $300+ per day. Can any one tell me what could cause this sort of performance drop and if there is anything I can do about it?

Thank you so so much in advance!

Kristen

Re: New Google Ad Grant Account Experiencing Poor Performance

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello Kristen,

What were the average CPCs before you transferred the account? The maximum CPC you can have in a grant account is $2.00. If your new CPCs are lower plus new keywords have a lower quality score, your ad rank might have suffered. (Hard for me to confirm without seeing the account)

In the meantime, try running DSA ads. They are allowed with ad grants and will be an easy way to spend the grant dollars until you have your desired keywords up and running. Not ideal, but at least you won't be totally in the dark.

Re: New Google Ad Grant Account Experiencing Poor Performance

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Joe!

Thank you for your suggestion! I will try running DSA ads to help increase ad spend during the intrum.

Those are excellent questions. I did/do have every max CPC set to $2.00 in both the old account and new account. Both accounts were set-up per the grant rules and none of those settings have been altered. AdWords customer service has also gone through both accounts three times now checking for anything that could be different between the two - nothing found. Also the keywords are exactly the same in both accounts, ads are the same, negative keywords are the same. There were no changes to the build between the two accounts at all. Two weeks in, per AdWords' suggestion, I went back to the old account, downloaded what actual search terms that had produced clicks and added them to the new account. There was no performance change, not that I expected there to be, except perhaps maybe seeing higher rank if I had been able to guess keywords more closely. Since then, I have also tried running ETA. Ad rank improved ever so slightly but no additional clicks.

Thanks again!
Kristen

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Kristen

I'm experiencing something very similar. The ads that were set up in this account were performing adequately, although I admit they were disappointing to me, as the rest of my (paid-for) accounts perform quite well. Recently I set up quite a few more ad groups (7 news ones), and although my bid is $1.99 for my keywords and the top of page estimate is quite a bit lower than that for nearly all my keywords, none of them are showing at all - 34 impressions across 7 ad groups in over 3 weeks! Did you ever get any resolution to your problem?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Dynam!

I'm so sorry to hear that you are experiencing this and I'm also thankful that you've share this with me. I have yet to talk to anyone else with this problem. No I was never able to get an answer. I talked with several AdWords support staff - one or two admitted it was strange to them too but were not able to produce any answers. The campaign has been running for a year now and it wasn't until Feb when the account started to pick up. It continues to come in well below budget but is at least spending more than a few hundred dollars a month.

Good luck to you! If you find anything out, please let me know!

Kristen

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Kristen

After talking to support, they said the ads simply aren't relevant enough. She walked through the standard optimisation techniques - targeting the right people, not using broad keywords (use broad modified), maybe try a schedule for the ads, ensure the ads match the keywords match the landing page. I'll make some changes today and hopefully we will see some results soon.

Dynam

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Kristen,

I feel like I could have wrote your original post myself. Your situation was almost exactly the same as the one I'm experiencing now. You said it took over a year to start seeing the ads pick up?! And that your daily budget of $329 is still not, nor has it ever been, used up in one day? Do you have any more insight as to why this is the case. Any suggestions or tips you could share? Wondering if you've encountered others that have experienced this same issue and what they say.

Thanks,

Denise

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Helen,

No, I never found a resolution. I spoke with several reps at Google and most agreed it was very weird but had no answer as to why it was happening. I've now encountered 4 others with the same issue. Yes, ad spend increased after a year but it was still very little - I can't remember exactly but it was basically meeting around 5% of the daily budget and increased to around 15%. My client eventually decided to drop the grant account because it wasn't gaining any conversions - and return to their paid account and campaings which immediately returned/continued at high performance. Such a shame. 

Kristen

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have previously mentioned that our account does not work properly for mobile searches. Please check if you have the same problem. I described it here https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Ad-Grants/Account-not-working-properly-Anyone-with-...