AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

NGO on Ad Grants using commercial keywords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

I am working with an NGO that is part of the Ad Grants program and I have a few questions.

1. If you have experience with NGOs, do you have any recommendations regarding generating donations as conversions? They are using PayPal, so the conversion happens outside their site. Is there any way to measure this or link it to Adwords?

2. Have you used commercial keywords from an Ad Grants account, like promoting merchandise to generate funds for the NGO? I know this is possible, but has any of you done it?

Thank you,

Mihai

Re: NGO on Ad Grants using commercial keywords

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Mhai

I have some experience with NGOs using Grants. I haven't had experience selling products - just asking for donations. Depending on what you are selling, the keywords can be pretty competitive for ecommerce and its hard to compete using a grant account but not impossible.

I would test long tail keywords the volume will be lower but the competition may be as well. In my experience, keywords around whatever cause you are supporting tend to do pretty well, too. For products I would consider testing product terms modified with your cause. For instance gifts to benefit ___ research, etc. It will all depend on how much awareness your charity has, both as an organization and as a cause. For instance, cancer terms likely have a decent amount of search volume but until 2014, I doubt ALS had very much search volume. You should take a look at the google keyword planner as well as google insights to get a feel for keyword ideas and volume.

Hope this helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi and thank you for your response.

Do you have any experience tracking donations as conversions? This NGO takes donations through PayPal.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Mihai,

To be honest I don't but I was just reading an article about tracking paypal with Analytics which might help. You could set up a goal and then import it into AdWords. http://www.lovesdata.com/blog/2014/paypal-google-analytics

Hope this helps!