Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Maximize conversions very high cost per click

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Since switching to maximize conversions we seem to be hitting some very very high CPC rates for keyphrases.

For example on certain keyphrases which are estimated at 1 dollar for a first page bid we have paid up to 247 dollars!

This has happened on a few occasions now with 4 clicks being from 144 - 247 dollars.

I spoke with the helpline shown in the account, however all they could tell me is that at that point in time there was extremely competitive bidding. Is it really possible that for a 1 dollar estimated keyphrase someone was bidding up to 247 dollars?

Any advice would be appreciated as this results in the daily budget being spent very quickly.

Thanks

P.S> The delivery method is set to standard, I noticed a comment in another post saying that this may be because of accelerated delivery.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ABPN C
February

Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager

Hi ABPN,

We've been reviewing some edge cases where this happens - I'm sorry to hear you've been affected.  We're working on a solution as I type.  For now, you could switch to Target CPA or Target ROAS to apply an upper bound that you're comfortable with.

Best,

Michelle

In addition to engaging with us through our online community forum, this short video offers a policy overview. Members of the Ad Grants team offer educational live streams (past videos), hands-on local workshops, office hours, and personalized account tips. To receive inv...Customized Performance & Suggestions and Special Offers emails. We've also opened up new communities in French, German, Portuguese and Spanish. If you’d like volunteer help with your account, read about our recently launched Online Challenge Program through partner universities.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey,

I experienced exact this same situation just a few days ago.

I overpaid for clicks in DSA campaign.

If you want to continue your experiment I advise you to create an extra list with exclusion keywords and put there all your keywords used in other campaigns (in exact match) and your competitors' brands

Highlighted
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ABPN C
February

Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager

Hi ABPN,

We've been reviewing some edge cases where this happens - I'm sorry to hear you've been affected.  We're working on a solution as I type.  For now, you could switch to Target CPA or Target ROAS to apply an upper bound that you're comfortable with.

Best,

Michelle

In addition to engaging with us through our online community forum, this short video offers a policy overview. Members of the Ad Grants team offer educational live streams (past videos), hands-on local workshops, office hours, and personalized account tips. To receive inv...Customized Performance & Suggestions and Special Offers emails. We've also opened up new communities in French, German, Portuguese and Spanish. If you’d like volunteer help with your account, read about our recently launched Online Challenge Program through partner universities.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the response. Look forward to seeing changes rolled out.

Thanks for all suggestions as well most helpful...

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager

Hi again everyone,

As an update, we're making progress on this and also wanted to clarify that it is isolated to certain edge cases in the Ad Grants program, not AdWords at large.  It's also worth noting that Ad Grants ads don't compete with paying advertisers, so standard advertisers are not affected by this.

Best,

Michelle