1.5K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Many Words either Below First Page (>$2) or Low Search Volume

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Being in an esoteric nonprofit - rainwater harvesting (www.arcsa.org) - keywords that are likely to be our most productive are not often used by the public.

What can be done about increasing the number of "Eligible" words, when so many are either "Below First Page Bid" (>$2), or "Low Search Volume" (eliminating them from searches)? The latter is particularly frustrating for a business that is in an esoteric field where many productive keywords are not used often.

Also, is there a way to know who has the highest bidding price for a keyword? I seem to recall seeing some very large organizations (Amazon.com, for example) that were at the top of a list, but I cannot find that list.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author americanrainwater
September 2015

Re: Many Words either Below First Page (>$2) or Low Search Volume

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager

Here is @RobertCoats's fantastic advice:

"Ad Grant accounts can be a bit tricky due to the limited service area of the nonprofit and also due to the niche market that the nonprofit serves. Suffice to say, there is often low search volume on the keywords that are relevant for the nonprofit. 

Relevancy is also crucial for Ad Grant accounts. Due to the fact that Ad Grant accounts are limited to the max CPC of $2 it is important to target the keywords that are going to be the most relevant and thus have the highest quality score so that the nonprofit is able to compete against higher bids. As such, I do not recommend bidding on competitor brand names since they are not relevant to the nonprofit in question.

The best way to expand the potential keywords is to expand the content on the website. You would then, do keyword research just as you would a normal AdWords account. A great tool to use is the AdWords Keyword planner. I recommend the following support article: Using Keyword Planner to get keyword ideas and traffic forecasts"

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Here's a similar thread that might help! Take a look at @RobertCoats suggestion.

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Sumanth
I had "insufficient privileges" to follow the thread. Can you identify it another way?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author americanrainwater
September 2015

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager

Here is @RobertCoats's fantastic advice:

"Ad Grant accounts can be a bit tricky due to the limited service area of the nonprofit and also due to the niche market that the nonprofit serves. Suffice to say, there is often low search volume on the keywords that are relevant for the nonprofit. 

Relevancy is also crucial for Ad Grant accounts. Due to the fact that Ad Grant accounts are limited to the max CPC of $2 it is important to target the keywords that are going to be the most relevant and thus have the highest quality score so that the nonprofit is able to compete against higher bids. As such, I do not recommend bidding on competitor brand names since they are not relevant to the nonprofit in question.

The best way to expand the potential keywords is to expand the content on the website. You would then, do keyword research just as you would a normal AdWords account. A great tool to use is the AdWords Keyword planner. I recommend the following support article: Using Keyword Planner to get keyword ideas and traffic forecasts"

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Thanks Kathleen!
Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks to both Sumanth and Kathleen.
That's very helpful. The Ad Grant is good training for our eventual entry into the big, bad, unrestricted AdWord marketplace.