AdWords
6.7K members online now
6.7K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Is NPO Eligible For Grant If Proceeds Go To Operating Expenses?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to find out if a non-profit organization is eligible for a Google Grant based on where the proceeds are going. In this case, as a NPO, there are no stakeholders that are benefitting from any revenue generated from the services provided. All proceeds go back into the organization to support the services, including things like operating expenses and salaries.

This is the point that is giving me pause;

• Strictly commercial advertising is not allowed through this programme. If you intend to promote products or services, 100% of the sales and/or proceeds must support your programme.

Are operating expenses like salaries considered as "proceeds supporting your program"? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is NPO Eligible For Grant If Proceeds Go To Operating Expenses?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Sara L

It is not uncommon for proceeds to cover operating expenses (including salaries) in a service based organization. The line item that you referenced is for those nonprofit organizations that sell a product or service.

For example: a nonprofit that sales t-shirts:

OK - Selling those shirts from their website and 100% of the proceeds going to the organization.

NOT OK - Promoting an affiliate link to t-shirts on Amazon to earn a commission based on percentage of sales.

As such, as long as the organization meets all of the listed requirements in the eligibility guidelines there should not be any issue.

With that said...

"Google reserves the right to grant or deny an organization's application or participation at any time, for any reason, and to supplement or amend these eligibility guidelines at any time. Selections are made at Google's sole discretion, and are not subject to external review."