AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Help - Ad Grants Account Created by Spammer Without Our Knowledge.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all - I am hoping someone here (perhaps Robert?) will have seen this before and can help us troubleshoot. 

A nonprofit organization asked me to help them set up an Ad Grants account for them. They had never applied for Google for Nonprofits or the Ad Grant, but when we tried to create a Google for Nonprofits account, we were told one already exists. We went through the process to request access, Google reviewed our request after 14 days, and we were given administrative rights to the account. 

Imagine our surprise when, upon logging in for the first time, we saw the Ad Grants status as "Approved." No one at the organization had ever applied for the Ad Grant, or even created a Google for Nonprofits account. None of our organizational email addresses allowed us to log into the AdWords Grant account. So I called support. 

After a number of (quite helpful) discussions with the support team, we determined that someone (with a generic, anonymous gmail address) had pretended to be the organization, created an AdWords account, gotten approved for the Grant, and then began using it for commercial purposes. This, of course, violated the Ad Grants terms of use, and the account was suspended. We were able to restore the organization's access to the account that had been created in our name, and the support rep told me to ask for the suspension to be reviewed using the Google form for that purpose. I deleted all of the campaigns in the account, ensured the settings were set to comply with Google Ad Grants, created a new campaign with an ad and keywords. 

I filled out the form appealing our suspension, explaining all of the above. To my surprise, our request that the suspension be removed was denied. I followed up with my support contact, and he said he couldn't do anything to help, as it was outside of his team's control. 

Has anyone seen anything like this before? We are a bit heartbroken at the thought of being locked out of the Ad Grants program forever because of an unscrupulous hacker. Any ideas or help would be much appreciated. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I'll be glad to investigate this for you but I will need some additional information about your organization that we cannot post publicly here in the public forum due to privacy concerns. Please fill out this form and I can escalate for you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Robert - filling out the form now. 

tRe: Help - Ad Grants Account Created by Spammer Without Our Knowledge.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Any update, Robert? 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Grant H

I will be glad to follow back up with the Ad Grants team on this, please resubmit the form (just with basic account info this time) so that I can be certain I am following up on the right account in question.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you! Just resubmitted.